Garage electrical Q

/ Garage electrical Q #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I'm moving my garage onto a foundation and it'll become a two story structure. When I building the driveway I ran some electric lines only to realize that I forgot to include some wire length to run vertically inside the building. Basically I have just enough to get inside the foundation. I'd like to have the panel upstairs where there will be more space. To accomplish this I'll have to splice the wires downstairs. Currently I have a 1.5" pvc conduit stubbed through the wall with maybe 18" of wire sticking out. I was thinking of putting a 10x10x4 pvc junction box over the conduit to make the connection, but all of these boxes are blank. How do I connect the conduit to the back of the box and have the box be flush to the wall?

/ Garage electrical Q #2  
Hole saw is my first choice. You can also do it with a RotoZip.

As far as how something fits - flush or otherwise, pictures or a sketch would help a lot.

/ Garage electrical Q #3  
I use a hole saw.

/ Garage electrical Q #4  
Use a LB to make a 90 deg. turn and a box adapter in the bottom of the junction box. Join the top of the LB to the bottom of your junction box.

/ Garage electrical Q
Use a LB to make a 90 deg. turn and a box adapter in the bottom of the junction box. Join the top of the LB to the bottom of your junction box.

I think I hit upon somebody who understands what I was asking. I was thinking of doing it this way, but was afraid I might be a bit short on cable.

/ Garage electrical Q #6  
I think I hit upon somebody who understands what I was asking. I was thinking of doing it this way, but was afraid I might be a bit short on cable.

I believe all the others understand what you are trying to do as I think I do also. Just drill a hole in the back of the box. The tricky part is gluing the 1.5" thread adapter onto your pipe coming out of the wall, so it sticks through the box but doesn't interfere with the box sitting against the wall properly. You may have to chip away the wall some around the conduit so the thread adapter can slide up further onto the conduit, since the thread adapter is a little bigger than the conduit. Chipping away the wall can look a little messy, you can seal it with silicone and the box is going to hide when it's installed.

/ Garage electrical Q #7  
is it possible to go out the side or the top? with a little heat one can bend a "S" shaped piece of PVC conduit to fit nearly any shape you want if the bend is not to tight,

and there is the "romex" type entrance cable one could come out of the box with,

/ Garage electrical Q #8  
If you use an LB will you still have access to it? Electrical code says you have to have access to any junction/pull point. Can you use an LL or LR? These are basically like an LB but they turn left or right instead of out the back.

If this were me, I would try to use an MA adaptor to come in the bottom of the box and keep it is far back as possible. The MA fits on to the PVC like a coupling but has male threads on it so a locknut can be used on the inside of the box. I would try to keep the hole as close to the back of the box as possible. This will also give you access to the front if you ever want to upgrade to a larger cable.

Like others have said a diagram or photo would be very helpful in finding the best solution that works for you.

/ Garage electrical Q #9  
If this were me, I would try to use an MA adaptor to come in the bottom of the box and keep it is far back as possible. The MA fits on to the PVC like a coupling but has male threads on it so a locknut can be used on the inside of the box.

Is "MA" for "Male Adapter"? We call them "TA's" or "Thread Adapters". I guess it's sort of like "adjustable wrench" or "Crescent wrench". Lots of names for the same thing.

P.S. The more I think about it, I like your abbreviation better. We have to add "female" or "male" to our abbreviation, you don't.

/ Garage electrical Q #10  
I would use the PVC Box Adapter to connect to the junction box. (PVC box adapter adapts non-metallic conduit to all electrical enclosures by inserting adapter through knockout and cementing into coupling.)