Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
Solved a couple garage issues over the past several years but still have a few annoyances, this one really bugs me, it's my hand grinder cord. For some reason when I go back in forth with my hand grinder from tool stand to my welding bench the cord keeps getting twisted up then pretty soon I go from a 6' cord to a 3' cord, my a new cord is the answer better yet a new grinder just because the power cord keeps getting twisted.
InkedIMG-1495_LI.jpg InkedIMG-1507_LI.jpg

I did how ever make a few what I call improvements couple years ago, portable shop light, bench vice block support and my favorite a bench grinding brake. These bench grinders almost seem to have perpetual aggravating circular motion, cant stand that either when I push off I want off and to me off means no more grinding wheel turning.
InkedIMG-1499_LI.jpg InkedIMG-1504_LI.jpg IMG-1501.JPG

This bench vice is a new addition, has a round shaft so just cant sit a block on it or it rolls off, I like a block to hold the work piece up, just set the piece on the block and clamp. First thing one needs in a shop is portable light that has light adjustment, on this home made light holder I have about 3' up down and 370* of revolution. Been using my bench grinding brake for several years now, started with just wood but after a year of wood braking the wheel was wearing it thin so added piece of truck spring, be a while before that wares threw........... Grinding wheel brake - YouTube

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #2  
All I can tell you is that every time you pick up or lay down the grinder you are rotating it 1/2 revolution in the same direction before laying it down or beginning to grind. Now,stop it ! :laughing:

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #3  
All I can tell you is that every time you pick up or lay down the grinder you are rotating it 1/2 revolution in the same direction before laying it down or beginning to grind. Now,stop it ! :laughing:

Yup, I do the same thing. About every third time I pick it up, I have to unwind the cord.

They make "swivel plug" extension cords where the male end swivels 360°. What we need are power tools with swivels on the tool end.

I got dibs on the royalties when someone comes up with a design...

EDIT: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #4  
Yep, always so much more to do when it comes to shop organization.

Talking lights, I am super happy with these magnetic LED adjustable lights. Have several now and have them on my xmas list hoping to put one on most of my tools/work areas for extra bright local light.

vice light.jpg

Sorry, should have cropped the photo so you could see better but I put two on my bench grinder. Note the brightness difference and I have very good overhead lighting.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #5  
No, no - if you can wait - do what I do. In the heat of the summer I take my miserable twisted cord tools outside on the porch. Lay the tool out - stretch the cord out straight & true - let it sit there the entire day in the sun and heat. It will remain straight and uncurled for at least another year.

What causes my cords to twist - I have job in the winter - heat up the work shed - use the tool and forget to lay the miserable cord out straight when finished - the shop, tool & twisted cord cool and get cold. The twist in the cord is set by the cold conditions.

If you notice - some tools have cords that have a plastic sheath - other have a rubber sheath. Rubber sheath will seldom, if ever, twist. Plastic sheath will twist the minute you turn your back. Same with extension chords.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #6  
[FONT=&]​[/FONT] this one really bugs me, it's my hand grinder cord. For some reason when I go back in forth with my hand grinder from tool stand to my welding bench the cord keeps getting twisted up then pretty soon I go from a 6' cord to a 3' cord, my a new cord is the answer better yet a new grinder just because the power cord keeps getting twisted.[FONT=&]​
[/FONT]View attachment 577350 View attachment 577351

And all this time I thought I was the only one with this problem!! Drives me nuts:confused2:

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #7  
oosik
do what I do. In the heat of the summer I take my miserable twisted cord tools outside on the porch. Lay the tool out - stretch the cord out straight & true - let it sit there the entire day in the sun and heat. It will remain straight and uncurled for at least another year.
Good idea. :thumbsup:

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
Kernopelli [B said:
And all this time I thought I was the only one with this problem!! Drives me nuts[/B]:confused2:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Just back and forth a few times from tool storage box to work bench my cord is all twisted up, cant leave the hand grinder on my small work bench so I like to hang it up til needed, cordless is sounding better all the time...........

That will be hard to stop after 40 years of muscle memory, you sure it's not the magnetic north pole twisting my grinding cord...............

Yep, always so much more to do when it comes to shop organization.

Talking lights, I am super happy with these magnetic LED adjustable lights. Have several now and have them on my xmas list hoping to put one on most of my tools/work areas for extra bright local light.

View attachment 577402

Sorry, should have cropped the photo so you could see better but I put two on my bench grinder. Note the brightness difference and I have very good overhead lighting.

Is this the lights you have>>>>https://www.amazon.com/JANSANE-Ligh...D=41514O6K%2BwL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch I mostly use my bench grinder for sharpening drill bits and that requires for me good lighting.