Garden erosion

/ Garden erosion #1  

Atypical_decorum

Silver Member
Tractor
Ultra-Wide B7500 & looking for a 100hp
There's no gardening spot on here, so this seemed like the next best place.

Tilling and gardening on a slope, as many have pointed out, is likely to cause runoff of soil. How can this be mitigated?

I run a hiller in my gardens and my plan was to run the hills at a diagonal on the slope. The though had occurred to make shallow angled delta hills horizontally along the slope and make a drain down the middle through all the hills running down hill.

/ Garden erosion #2  
Orient rows perpendicular to the slope.

Use a lot of mulch to reduce tilling and run off. Dick Raymond of Troy Bilt tillers fame is a strong advocate for using leaf mulch in gardens.

/ Garden erosion #3  
My garden is on a slope also The hill it is on rises rapidly so there was a large amount of runoff that flowed into the garden.
I cut a road above the garden to act like a swale to divert the runoff. No more washouts.

/ Garden erosion
Orient rows perpendicular to the slope.

Use a lot of mulch to reduce tilling and run off. Dick Raymond of Troy Bilt tillers fame is a strong advocate for using leaf mulch in gardens.
It's about 2 acres. That'd be all the leaves.

/ Garden erosion #5  
2 acres is a lot of garden.

Need to be careful because even a small furrow in loose dirt on a hillside can wash out into a big mess after only one hard rain.

/ Garden erosion
My garden is on a slope also The hill it is on rises rapidly so there was a large amount of runoff that flowed into the garden.
I cut a road above the garden to act like a swale to divert the runoff. No more washouts.
Without the runoff entering your garden, how does it do by itself?