garden/subcompact/compact for my needs?

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs? #21  
While I love the short wheelbase of the TYMs, the JD or BC you were looking at are better tractors (IMO). I almost bought a T273, but liked the Kioti much better. I'm glad I went with Kioti, as I think it is better made after watching the history of both machines for the past 8 years. You are in a bit of a pickle. The best mower will not be the best at real tractor chores. That is why I recommended the JD. If you really have to do it all with one machine, that would be my choice of these three. Mainly because of JD engineering in the attachments. You could go with the one you like best and in a few years get a separate mower, GT, or zero turn (whatever works best for you).

Given where you live, I'm guessing snow removal may be as big a need as cutting grass. My experience with R4 industrial tires is that they are terrible in the snow. You might need chains if going R4's. For snow, I think turfs work the best. In the mud, it's R1 Ag tires. In rough ground with a lot of jagged edges, it would be R4's. I have R4's and won't take my tractor in the snow. I use an X739 with HDAP tires for snow and grass. It's awesome for both, but is a GT only. Not suited to real tractor chores. Wait a few years and you can pick one of these up for a reasonable price used. It's never easy. No one size fits all, at least that's been my experience.

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs?
The john deere is a tad worn out, hence the much lower price than other 2520s and I still can't decide on the weight of the BC. The tym 293 I can get new with 4 hours for 13k. That gives me enough HP I think for my chores while still getting decent FEL capacity. It is over my budget a tad, but getting brand new with a warranty does offer some piece of mind while knowing the past history. I know I need to sacrifice in either/both FEL and mowing capacities if I want only one machine. I am going to check it out tomorrow.

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs? #23  
I'm surprised at the weight differences between some of these tractors. My 2720 is about the same HP as the CK30 but it's 1,000 lbs. lighter than the CK30. After reading through all these posts I can see how people get overwhelmed with the choices. I was going to suggest a chipper but why complicate things… Good luck with your decision.

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs?
I went and checked out the massey 1526 and branson 2400h. Both seemed like very solid built tractors. I liked them both a lot. I also just ran across a 2005 kubota 2710 for 11k with 570 hours. I will go check that one out too now.

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs? #25  
There is something to be said about buying new, it is well.....NEW. You have a good warranty with it, and you know its history from day one. You know if someone ran it out of oil or anything else like that. (to bring up a current thread) However you naturally do pay more for that but that piece/peace of mind has great value to some, not as much to others...only you (and your wife) can make that call.

Personally I am on the fence with the new/used thing. Up till this newest tractor I always bought used, but knowing how I have been using it I really don't know. I take VERY good care of my equipment, but again there are current threads on here that show not everyone does....never changing the oil on older machines for one.

Really for me I don't know if I will ever get another "tractor"....I know I will get another lawn tractor of some kind but that really does not count....but I might look at my next mowing machine to be another sub compact machine...it is just so handy and fantastic.

I know I really did not answer or put anything of real value into this post, but just gave you more to think about. If you get a real little machine, or one with really little hours then I might go used. I think many buy the little machines and find out they needed larger, or just needed a lawn mower and they seem to get traded off with under 50hrs a great deal. But new has great financing available from just about every major player.

Keep us updated, and there is no such thing as too much research.

/ garden/subcompact/compact for my needs? #26  
I also wanted to say, (and many here will go oh no not again....ban this guy already please)

But do not discount the little machines without some real research. I think you will find that many here will say buy bigger....and there is value to that, add to that depending on what you want to hang off the machine there is not much price difference between the little machine and the next step up....or even two steps. But I have found that in owning the little machine that I have the only job I wish where is was larger is mowing. Yea funny as that sounds. The longer wheel base...wider stance I think would make mowing a smoother ride for me. Also the availability of 72" belly mowers would have been nice. But for pulling, lifting, dragging, clearing....the machine I have (not going to bring it up, it is easy enough to find out) has not left me wanting except in that one area....mowing.