Garden Thread

/ Garden Thread #1  

jmurray01

Veteran Member
Tractor
I did have a pedal John Deere once...
This is a thread for posting gardening hints, tips, pictures and anything to do with gardening.

/ Garden Thread #2  
Been slow getting my garden going this year. Got a few tomatoes, peppers going and just sowed some corn. Small garden though, I'd like to increase the size and I have the tractor, disc, 2 bottom plow and one row cultivator, but lack the time and too many deer.

/ Garden Thread #3  
This is a thread for posting gardening hints, tips, pictures and anything to do with gardening.
I just got done putting in 250 strawberry plants... with that many more left to put in the ground. Sure could use the above mentioned harrow and plow, both are very high on my shopping list. :thumbsup:

/ Garden Thread
I just got done putting in 250 strawberry plants... with that many more left to put in the ground. Sure could use the above mentioned harrow and plow, both are very high on my shopping list. :thumbsup:
That reminds me, I do have to go and buy some strawberry plants sometime.

I've never grown any, but would like to.

/ Garden Thread #5  
That reminds me, I do have to go and buy some strawberry plants sometime.

I've never grown any, but would like to.

For your own use consider "day neutral". They're less work and produce all sesson. (About a pound, or 1,1 Litre, per plant.) I also planted 20 of those earlier this year.
:licking:
Plus you get berries this year; the 500 which I'm planting toward starting a pick your own won't do anything until next year.

/ Garden Thread #6  
You asked for pictures. (I included the tractor to keep it legal. :D)

Attachments

• StrawberryField.jpg
    StrawberryField.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 132
   / Garden Thread #8  
What do you do to keep the deer away?
We don't have enough deer up here to be much of a problem. This year is just a practice run anyways. Next year I'll put up 2 strands of electric fence around the entire 2 acres which I plan to use.

/ Garden Thread #9  
We've been increasing each year over the past few years, more area and trying new stuff. We're scaling back this year as our hands our pretty full with our first born who is three and a half months old now.

We're sticking to things that we've had better luck with - 1.5 dozen tomatoes, a row of green beans, a couple rows of patty pan squash and a section of corn (20'x30'). The two main obstacles are going to be squash bugs and racoons. I'm going to try spraying the squash plants with Surround WP to keep the squash bugs away. Last year, the racoons probably got >90% of our corn so I picked up a solar power electric fence that I'll be hooking up soon.

Our next door neighbor came over on Saturday with his 4' Befco tiller and tilled the section where we're planting the corn. 3 passes over the entire area in 15 mins or less. Last year I did that area with a walk behind tiller. What a difference....

Keith

/ Garden Thread #10  

Are your strawberry plants bare roots? Only 18 cents per plant in 500 counts. I've also thought of planting a small pick your own berry patch.

Home Price List