Garden tiller suggestions

/ Garden tiller suggestions #11  
Itoo am in the market for a rear tine tiller.Ihave heard the old troy builts were tougher.Icontimplated one for my bx.It would be great fo preparing a food plot for planting,but useless for tilling between the rows for weed control..Ialso heard id like the counter rotating tines too.Im leaning against the tractor onealso,because every body and their brother will want me to prepare their garden for them,not a task i want to under go.
ALAN

/ Garden tiller suggestions #12  
Im leaning against the tractor onealso,because every body and their brother will want me to prepare their garden for them,not a task i want to under go.
ALAN

"Sorry, but I don't have the tiller on my tractor at the moment. It's a real bear to put on and take off. Maybe next year." :rolleyes:

/ Garden tiller suggestions #13  
How do you plan to use it?

Preparing a new garden site, busting sod, would point toward a tractor-mounted or counter-rotating walk-behind tiller...

Preparing to plant an existing garden, and then cultivating the plants in the garden, would point toward a rear-tine walk-behind...

I have both a tractor-mounted and an old Troybilt Pony. The tractor-mounted one gets used twice a year, at most. Once to prep the garden for planting, and once in the fall to turn things under (if the weather, schedule, and soil conditions cooperate, which here in New England if hit or miss). Once the garden is planted, it is simply too big to use in cultivating. In comparison, the old Troybilt gets used at least a half-dozen times, or more, cultivating the garden once planted...

IMO, if you get a Troybilt, spend the money to get at least a Pony or Horse models, or don't bother... either one would be a "one-time" purchase that'll likely outlast you, with maintenance.

I just put new tines, shaft seals, and axle seals on my 20 year old Pony last spring -- the first major expenditure of $$ on it in 20 years. For the first half of its life, it was the only tiller I owned, so it did the additional tasks I now use the tractor-mounted tiller for...

/ Garden tiller suggestions #14  
The claims and expectations for depth have always been overblown.
I recall tiller ads back in the hayday claiming 12" deep!
Forget the claims and look into the proper operation of each tiller.
Depending on soil type; if you are freshly breaking sod you will be tilling about 2" or less on the first pass.
Subsequent passes will increase the depth until you finally reach a point that you are high-centering the tranny assembly etc...
usually that will be in the 8" range.

It seems like all of the good tillers are no longer made.
Is BCS still making tillers?

/ Garden tiller suggestions #15  
It seems like all of the good tillers are no longer made.
Is BCS still making tillers?

Yes, they're still made, if you're up to spending $3000 or more for a tiller. The power heads are expensive, as is every attachment. Add on a few attachments, and you're getting close to the price of a Kubota BX tractor, minus attachments, for example.

The Troybilt Big Red, Horse and Pony models appear to be the same old design made for 30 years or more. Some of the other Troybilts are newer less-proven designs. The Big Red and Horse will take other powered attachments (chipper, etc.) but the Pony will not. It's only a tiller that you can add furrow/hilling attachments and row-markers onto.

The Big Red is comparable in price to BCS -- unless you're planning to use them like an old Gravely, for example, as your primary "tractor", it's hard to rationalize the price...

/ Garden tiller suggestions #17  
   / Garden tiller suggestions #18  
I have the old 7 hp kohler Horse Troy Bilt. It can prepare a garden in the Spring, but because of its weight and size, it is not the tiller to use for cultivation once things start growing unless you really leave a lot of open space between your rows. That's why I bought a smaller model which I think is called the "Tuffy" model, but it has no reverse on it and is fairly narrow. The small tires also get buried when you till deeply and there is no neutral to free wheel it. You have to pull some pins out of the wheels on the Tuffy. If you are going to have only one tiller, something in between the horse and the Tuffy sizes is probably best. The other aggravation is that the motor has the EPA compliant engine on it which means the carb is not adjustable. If it gets dirt or clogs up, you have to clean the carb to get it to run right--there's no adjusting the carb to compensate.

My father in law had a later model of the Horse. I forget what he did exactly, but he hurt his back. They look a lot smaller in the catalog than they are when you get them in the garden.

I have hard soil and usually break it with a plow on a CUT or sometimes for fun, I'll use a Gravely rotary plow on it before using a tiller to break ground in the Spring.

Depends on your soil conditions, but our ground is so hard that I wouldn't want to go back to a front tine tiller.

The disadvantage of the CRT feature is said to be that it makes it difficult to till in corn stalks or other material.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #19  
I have the old 7 hp kohler Horse Troy Bilt. It can prepare a garden in the Spring, but because of its weight and size, it is not the tiller to use for cultivation once things start growing unless you really leave a lot of open space between your rows. That's why I bought a smaller model which I think is called the "Tuffy" model, but it has no reverse on it and is fairly narrow. The small tires also get buried when you till deeply and there is no neutral to free wheel it. You have to pull some pins out of the wheels on the Tuffy. If you are going to have only one tiller, something in between the horse and the Tuffy sizes is probably best. The other aggravation is that the motor has the EPA compliant engine on it which means the carb is not adjustable. If it gets dirt or clogs up, you have to clean the carb to get it to run right--there's no adjusting the carb to compensate.

My father in law had a later model of the Horse. I forget what he did exactly, but he hurt his back. They look a lot smaller in the catalog than they are when you get them in the garden.

I have hard soil and usually break it with a plow on a CUT or sometimes for fun, I'll use a Gravely rotary plow on it before using a tiller to break ground in the Spring.

Depends on your soil conditions, but our ground is so hard that I wouldn't want to go back to a front tine tiller.

The disadvantage of the CRT feature is said to be that it makes it difficult to till in corn stalks or other material.

I have heard good and bad about the CRT. I have never used a tiller with CRT so I would be hesitant to buy one. I have used a Gravely with a rotary plow though. When I first saw the rotary plow I thought to myself this thing will never work. But they do work very well.