Garden Tiller

/ Garden Tiller #22  
With respect I cannot agree with Fractal, because of my experience breaking new ground with a BCS with a Berta rotary plow mounted on it. The Berta rotary plow is fabulous for breaking new ground easily to 10-13 inches.

/ Garden Tiller #23  
<font color="blue"> I made a tiller a primary item on the "must have" list. Lemme tell you, it is a night vs day difference </font>

I agree so much that I had to post! I don't own a PTO tiller but have rented them a couple of times. As soon as I can afford one I'm buying. They do a great job.

My suggestion would be that if you have a tractor with a PTO, get one of those types of tillers. They cost about the same as the larger walk-behinds and are worlds easier to use. Unless are looking at a really small area, I wouldn't bother with the front tine (or even rear tine) tillers.

The little Mantis / Ryobi cultivators work well for cleaning up already tilled ground. Trust me, they don't like breaking ground one little bit... But for maintaining rows and raised beds they're kind of nice.

/ Garden Tiller #24  
That Husky looks just like my FORD rear tine tiller, except mines blue with Ford stickers on it. I wonder if they made it. If it's the same then it's an excellent tiller. Mine is about 10-15 years old, I'm not sure since it was bought used at a garage sale. I've been using it for about 5 yrs now and I love it, huge improvement over a front tine, tine speed is much faster too. It has the 5hp B&S & 20" till width. My garden is 50 x 50'. If I didn't have the fences to deal with I would probably rather have a behind the tractor tiller, but it only takes me about an hour to completely till the 2500 sq ft of garden and some areas I'll do twice.

/ Garden Tiller #25  
Ardisam makes an expired patent copy of the old Troy Built rear tine 5 hp. Pony (I think it is the name) they call theirs the Earth Quake. I used it in my garden for about 7 years and it has been a great trouble free machine. Gear drive trans. with a belt drive, rear tine. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $649. www.ardisam.com

/ Garden Tiller #26  
I have to agree with the folks suggesting a PTO tiller for the tractor. One year we tried a rear tiller which was belt driven on my friend's Toro. It was awful. Main problem was that you had to shut down, get off, dig stuck rocks out of the tiller, and so on. Even relatively small rocks would jam it up. I've also used a very small walking tiller, and had the same problem.

The PTO tiller I have now is a joy. If a rock does get stuck, which is rare, you just disengage the PTO, raise the tiller, engage the PTO once or twice and the rock simply falls out. I have never once had to manually remove a rock from it. This alone makes it worlds easier, but it doesn't stop there. It's much easier on the body, and it's much faster. I can normally till in 5th gear (out of 12) and do a pretty good job with one pass. If there is heavy sod, I'll go down a gear or two, of just make a couple passes. It's a whole different world having a good PTO tiller!

/ Garden Tiller #27  
I also use both Systems, front end and rear end Tiller, the most of the front end´s are driven by belt, exepted the Euro 61 we have. but if I have to choose one System, I would prefer the rear end for my use. They have PTO, gearbox like a Tractor and are more versatile. Othe way You could go was to buy a System like Iseki or Honda, where You can change the Tillers against Wheels, so that You can do ploughing with them or also pull a small Trailer. For this System also rear-end Tillers are availabe, belt driven. I do know nothing about pricing of this Machines in the states.
The BCS is not so expensive overhere.

Bernhard, Derichsweiler, Germany