Garden Tilling

/ Garden Tilling #11  
drtydeed said:
Wow, do you guys want to sub for me? My equipment won't even start for twice that. What happens when a large rock takes out the tiller or PTO? Was the $30 worth it?

I can understand it if your doing something for a friend or neighbor... but gees.

I won't even show up with a pick up truck full of carpentry tools for less than $45/hr and a 2 hour minumum. Add in a $25K piece of equipment that costs $500 - $1500 for a "minor" fix.....

I wonder how many $30/hr jobs it takes just to pay for fuel and insurance :rolleyes:

/ Garden Tilling #12  
You have to figure your time from beginning of trip to the end. You might cut some slack if some of thier neighbors have you do they'res at the same time. 30 bucks hardly covers the truck and trailer anymore. I look at it this way, my regular job pays 36 and hour, 6$ for retirement and health on top of that. Running a piece of equipment with a skilled operator, liability, fuel, and time to and fro, if you are making a living at it, make it's worth your while.

/ Garden Tilling #13  
KB9UDE said:
That is very close to the prices that I have gathered elsewhere. Thanks for the input.

BTW what do you think of this crazy weather we are having???
I am getting ready to go back to work in Decatur.

Thanks

John
I am enjoying the weather a lot more this weekend, I have not needed a winter coat at least. I just wish it would dry up a little now, but I will take the warmer weather over snow anyday.

As for your question about what to charge for tilling, I asked the boss (wife) what she thought about my rates for tilling and she agrees with the rest of guys on here that I work to cheap. I am not in it to make a living as much as I am getting more tractor time and a little extra spending money. I do think that I will charge more with fuel prices being what they are this year. I think it depends a lot on the area you are in also. But I will probably look at the $50 an hour range this spring and see what happens.

/ Garden Tilling #14  
Ok, so you wanna be in business
well
a. you need commercial liability insurance. (go price that)
b. you need commercial coverage on your truck and trailer (if you are trailering it around). (go price that, it's about double normal homeowners)
c. You probably need a DBA (although not gauranteed), some states it's easy, some states it's not.

It takes about a gallon an hour to run a compact tractor, so let's say for a one hour job, that's $4
Plus probably 10 miles one way, 10 miles back, call it two more gallons for the truck: That's $8
most compact tractors need a 300 hour service, mine runs about $500 every 300 hours. So, 1/300th of $500 is $1.67
Plus you're putting wear and tear on your tractor. Figure a 25,000 tractor should last about 4000 hours. Every hour costs $6.25 in capital (you have to replace the tractor)
Insurance runs me about $10/day (all the associated insurances, yours may be more or less, but it's a fair number)
a tiller doesn't last very long. Figure a $2000 tiller lasts maybe 1000 hours, so that's another $2.

so far, we're up to $32 in costs for a one hour job. Plus three hours of your time (1/2 hour to get there, hour to do it, 1/2 hour to get back. plus the 1/2 hour at the beginning to load the tractor, fuel it, etc, plus the 1/2 hour at the end to unload it, unhook it. Wow, at $50/hour, you are making ALMOST $6 an hour. I dunno about there, but minimum wage is more than that here.
Plus your time to grease the tractor, maintain the tractor, get parts for the tractor, etc.
We haven't even added in advertising, taxes, wear and tear on the truck, tags and plates, licenses, something actually breaking on the tractor, etc, etc, etc.

Either charge a reasonable price, or get out of the business and do it for your neighbors for free.

/ Garden Tilling #15  
I agree. The folks you've worked for at the 30/hr rate have been given a highly unrealistic expectation as to what service work costs. You are doing legitimate contractors a disservice by working so cheaply, so do it for free or double your price.

/ Garden Tilling #16  
What kind of insurance are you referring about? I also have a small tlb and have used it to due small jobs but it is limited to friends and neighbors. I don't charge anything but if they give me a couple of bucks or beer thats fine with me. I have been concerned that if something would go wrong, what happens. I know to call the one dig and stuff like that but thats about it. I also dint mean to high jack this forum, but I feel this fits in and needs to be covered in the cost. I have no intention in making a living or just to make money, but to help people that help me out

/ Garden Tilling #17  
liability insurance

doing any excavation? Need excavator's coverage. (it's not cheap)
mowing fields? need liability for that.
spraying chemicals? that's a whole ball of worms.

if you are moving your tractor with your truck while doing business, it's now a commercial vehicle and needs that insurance. (your regular homeowner's won't cover it)

if you aren't getting paid (helping out neighbors, beer, etc), then you're not needing it, because you should be covered under their homeowners. But if you are charging money for it, you need coverage. Because if you hit something, break something, hurt/kill someone accidentally, it doesn't matter that you were only doing it for $50/hour, you are liable and you better have coverage.

Heck, I haven't even included workman's comp. If you get injured doing something for money, your regular health insurance won't cover it.