Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #11  
Mith, THANKS for the Ag tire input. I was looking at your picture post & I could not agree more. In soft terrain the increased floatation has to be priceless ..&.. looking at your picture post, it makes an eye catching tractor!

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #12  
Another thing that I dont think has been mentioned, with duals the width of the tractor is obviosly increased, so the track of the tractor may be wider than any attachments. So back to the origional posters question, if you want to plow with duals, watch your plow is wider than your tractor will be with duals on.

F100, with the duals and the bright yellow tow-behind mower it sure catches a few eyes :D

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #13  
Well, I'df be remiss if I did not throw in a pic of mine.....

Attachments

• P7210045.jpg
    P7210045.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,340
   / Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #14  
Gotts love duals, looking good! :D

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #15  
A few years ago the local Toro dealer was offering a front end loader on the 520i Series Toro and it had a dual wheel setup. They only had one and it sat a LONG time unsold. You might find a dual wheel setup thru them.

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #16  
Dusty said:
For plowing snow, the narrower the tire, the better the traction. Wide tires tend to ride up on the snow, whereas the narrow tire will move closer to the pavement. I had very wide tires on my plow truck, and it was always getting stuck. When I put narrow tires on it, I had no more problems. When I plowed with my Bolens HT20, I used chains, and it slipped a lot. Now I snow-blow with a BX22, and it has enough weight in the rear, that it doesn't slip at all. If you need extra weigh, consider a weight box or having the rear tires filled with Rim Guard.
Dusty
Found that out back in 71 when I put extra wide tires on my new ford pu.
Wide fronts make perfect wheel chocks out of mud or snow.
Great set up for getting hung up and spinning rear wheels.

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #17  
F100Panel said:
I too have a Simplicity Sunstar albeit rebadged as a Duetz Ultima. LOVE the machine. Before I got that I did do a dual wheel get up on my cheapie MTD 19.5 HP tractor. Traction whent down in the wet. Duals as others stated provide floatation. Dry grass traction did increase/I could climb better. Side Hill stability as others here stated increased DRAMATICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drawback- I used the method you referenced & used the wheel wheight holes on the wheels with a 6" pipe spacer with studs welded on to go into the wheel weight holes. The inner wheels started cracking around the lug nuts. For the stability alone I'll refabricate to use the lug bolts but were I doing it for traction I would not spend the time. Currently I'm going to post here inquiring about Ag tires versus tire chains for traction versus lawn damage... With the wide tires on the rear of the Sunstar, any moisture to the grass & all I get is wheel spin unless I engage the differential lock. I'm curious which of the 2 provide better traction without killing a nice lawn. I expect damage with wheel spin but I'd like to avoid lawn damage with turning ect.
No lawn damage from the AGs on my CC gt 2554 garden tractor.
Didn't expect any either since the BX23 with AGs don't hurt the lawn either.

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #18  
LBrown59 said:
No lawn damage from the AGs on my CC gt 2554 garden tractor.
Didn't expect any either since the BX23 with AGs don't hurt the lawn either.

Disclaimer: This is one user's experience. Your results may vary, based on one's actual conditions, including user's vehicle weight, terrain, and soil type. ;)

I don't have any issues with ag tires on my hilly property south a couple hours south of here, but I won't even think about driving with them on my flat mushy land up here.

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #19  
Duals do have their advantages, but sometimes the extra width gets in the way. Mine is 11' 3" so it makes it hard to transport, not that a 10,000 pound tractor is easy anyway! When you get it stuck, it really is stuck!!
MVC-004F-1.jpg

David from jax

/ Garden Tractor Dual Rear Tires #20  
Here is the way I made duals work on my Ford 1100 which is a little closer to what this thread is about.

wheel_adapter.jpg

David from jax