Garden Tractor Locking Differential

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #21  
Chains aren't a bad idea although I will be driving on and off of asphalt. The lawn tractor I have now just spins one wheel or the other when I try to drive it up hill under load. I'm amazed I haven't destroyed the transmission on it, but perhaps the belt just slips if it gets overloaded. I'm hauling a large garden cart's worth of firewood. I definitely don't have the money for one of the top dollar JD tractors (455 etc). I was hoping for more of a poor man's solution to the problem. I just found a JD 140 (from the 1970's) on craigslist and it appears to have individual wheel brakes on it. I suppose that would be an intermediate option instead of the locking diff. Can anybody comment on these tractors?

I had a 110 which is the same tractor with a smaller engine. It works great with 4 wheeler tires. I put ags on the front to help it steer with a heavy load. Make sure the variator isn't stuck. Cost me $200 to fix mine. The 140 may have been hydrostatic in which case it won't have a variator. The hydraulic lift is nice.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #22  
Just found this thread, and have been enjoying it. I tried to imagine using this method with my tractor. I use my tractor in the woods a lot, and have approached a lot of jobs with little trepidation, but I just couldn't get my mind around just knocking over a relatively large tree with my tractor....then I looked up the specs and you have 1500 more pounds of tractor than I do. I've got a couple of smallish leaners that I'm hesitant to chainsaw, since I know they're going to barber-chair. Think I'll try this with those. THANKS!

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #23  
Just found this thread, and have been enjoying it. I tried to imagine using this method with my tractor. I use my tractor in the woods a lot, and have approached a lot of jobs with little trepidation, but I just couldn't get my mind around just knocking over a relatively large tree with my tractor....then I looked up the specs and you have 1500 more pounds of tractor than I do. I've got a couple of smallish leaners that I'm hesitant to chainsaw, since I know they're going to barber-chair. Think I'll try this with those. THANKS!

are you sure you found the right thread??:confused3: Me thinks not.....:laughing:

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #24  
I'm not real knowledgeable on the JD's, I am pretty keen on the Cubs. There are several models of the 3000 series that can be found for $1500-3000 with the twin cylinder engines, (mostly Kohler Commands) power steering, hydraulics, and the diff lock. I've always had good luck with them. Always want to test the diff lock before you buy, some folks engage it when moving and strip the gear. Just giving you another option.
The ag tires make a big difference in traction as well, and of course loading them doesnt hurt either.

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #25  
Oops. That's what happens when I have too many windows open! :duh:

/ Garden Tractor Locking Differential #26