Garden Tractor Needed?

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #11  
...they are all made by MTD and they are all junk.

Not that MTD = junk, at least since we're starting to talk about older machines...

7310293694_dfd6ea8b04_d.jpg

How cool is this beasty thing? (70's through early 80's MTD 990 for anybody wondering)

JayC

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #12  
JD345 also wouldn't be a bad choice, or a late model Gravely.

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #13  
If you can find your self a jd 318 that has been repowered you will not find a better machine. Mine has foward and rear hydro connections you can even get a loader for them for lite duty work. One thing you have to consider is the weight of these machines. The 318 takes two strong men to lift even one end of it. Most of these new mowers you can throw around like nothing.

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #14  
I have to smile to myself when I read the "don't buy box store riding mower" comments. I couldn't disagree more, I spent less than $2K on a 22HP Sears (Husq) close to 10 years ago now and it runs like the day I bought it. Like anything else I own I take care of it, use it to the max of its capabilities and I have to say I'd buy another.

I mow somewhere between 1.5 and 2 acres, every week in the Spring and every two weeks in mid-Summer through to Dec. My wife hauls rock / compost with it to her gardens, horse feed to the stables etc and loves it.

I take the mowing deck (42") off every fall, pressure wash it and repaint if required, change the oil and filter, give it a once over for loose hardware before putting it away.

Do I haul 1000 lb loads, no, do I skid logs, no.......... thats what I have a tractor for.

Don't tell my wife or daughters its a piece of scrap, they have a different opinion, and that's all it is...................

You might be better posting in the riding mower threads to get a broader perspective.

Attachments

• HPIM0249.jpg
    HPIM0249.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 315
   / Garden Tractor Needed? #15  
I'm far from being bigoted against big box riders, for mowing. I've got a Craftsman (AYP) myself, have maintained/repaired it and used it for nearly 8 years. I expect another 4-5 years of reasonable service from it, easily. Yes, I'd buy another for that kind of light duty.

However, once you ask an LT to work pulling of heavier implements?

Check the warnings that come with most of these light duty machines about using them, in any meaningful way, as a tractor and all bets are off. FWIW.

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #16  
I don't disagree with you, as I said I don't use it to skid logs or haul heavy loads. It will however haul the polymer trailer full of dirt up and down and all around my property, and has, without any sort of transmission issues throughout its life.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that the OP said he has .75 acres with mature trees, sees himself with a rake and plug style aerator. I wouldn't hesitste to advise that these types of ride on mowers will fill the bill.

Like most others on this site I believe in buying something once and that more is almost always better, but I won't dismiss or try to disgrace something that will do the job to push something that will do it better. Advise that they consider something else as an option, absolutely! JMHO

/ Garden Tractor Needed?
I appreciate all the helpful comments. As my very first task for the tractor will be hauling rock (several tons over multiple trips), my focus should be on the transmission. Pretty much all of the tractor offerings at the Big Boxes seem to be geared more towards mowing task. It seems as long as I stay away from the entry level K46 and Intek B&S, I am on the right track of my needs.

I am still not sure used is for me (although the offerings in Lancaster County area seem o' plenty). I would gather get new so I can take care of it from day one and every scratch will have a story!

I am currently leaning towards CC GTX2000 with 42" deck ($4,000), as it has the beefy, servicable transmission and smaller deck size. The JD 320 is a close second, but the cast tranny in the CC is appealing to me and the dealer stands out more for offering long-term service.

I really wish the Husq YTH42V42LS was available with beefier tranny. It seems silly to me that the 16HP tractors have the same tranny as some of the 26HP ones, you would think they would scale up together. I read some posts that you can replace a K46 with K66. I am doing to ask the local Husq dealer (family owned business) his thoughts on that. For $2,500 with a Kawaski 24HP and 42 Fab deck, that is a nice platform for me. And I really like their instrument cluster far better than either CC / JD, not that I would buy on that alone. If I had a way to upgrade the Husq transmission should I run into issues, I could sleep better at night.

Feel free to chime in. I realize comparing the $4,000 CC with the $2,500 Husq is not really apples to apples. I see it as buying top of the line low end unit (Husq), or entry level GT (CC) with a tranny that I do not need to think about. Even if I never actually own the core aerator, snow blade, etc., knowing I CAN is important to me.

Thanks again, what a great forum!
-John

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #18  
John, thanks for posting back with more details.

Your focus on the transmission is important and a focus I agree with. I don't personally get all impressed with 16 vx 24 hp. I'd rather have a quality built 16 horse Kawasaki or top drawer B&S than a cheapo 24 horse built to impress with big numbers, but at too low a price point and inferior components. Getting a quality engine, at 24+ hp? Nice.

The over sized tires of GT over the LT is also a big plus in my book, as is the heavier frames and upgraded steering that OEM's usually reserve for their GTs. A good seat for my aching back is a must. But... back to the trans.

A high quality, serviceable trans is going to cost you, but it's worth it. I'd be sure I couldn't get a comparable machine from Deere at that price point. I'm sure you've price the X340 type Deere?

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #19  
Not that MTD = junk, at least since we're starting to talk about older machines...

7310293694_dfd6ea8b04_d.jpg

How cool is this beasty thing? (70's through early 80's MTD 990 for anybody wondering)

JayC
jay i want that tractor when will you be going on vacation or what time do you leave for work excetra please leave it out im not good at breaking in.

/ Garden Tractor Needed? #20  
get your self an older cc ih i have a 1973 i fixing up to mow with my current mower is an 1988 bolens 120 its on its last legs tranny problems junk hydro stat or get an older wheel horse frm the 70s or early 80s