Gardens/plots for 2018

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Today I found some of the first planting of peas just breaking the surface.--the second planting is sprouting, so maybe stuff is about to happen!--Fruit trees still holding back, so never know!! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #82  
A few peas and a few radishes peaking out, could get frost tonite, hope they survive. Next week looks to be much warmer, time to set out cabbage and brussels sprouts that I started in the house. Got to get the gardens worked up this weekend, probably direct seed some cool weather crops this coming week also. Can't trust the weather for corn, beans, peppers or tomatoes yet.
Billy

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #83  
I worked the garden plot yesterday and planted some corn and bush beans. We had nice rain today. Still a little cold for tomatoes in Central Illinois, but I had to put at least one "Early Girl" in today when the rain stopped. I'm new to this and will have to keep my ears open here to get my timing right.

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Got the 500+ sweet potato plants in today and ready to attack the RR sweet corn next.Squash and a few melons will go in soon as will a few cucumbers. The first radishes froze off as did the first up white potato plants.---Weather here has been a real bear this year, but we still hangin in there for the long haul!

The spuds are coming back from freeze and the onions look good, so do the peas.
20180505_162728.jpg
How are the rest of you guys coming with your gardens????
Welcome to all new members, and if you need suggestions, just ask!! LOL!!!!
thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #85  
Peas, radishes,and green onions looking good. Transplanted brussels sprouts,tomatoes, and romaine lettuce last week,also planted green beans,beets and cukes. Supposed to be warm this week,had 3 days of rain,when it dries a little I will be able to set out more tomatoes and peppers and plant sweet corn. Then that garden will be done and I will be on to planting my "sacrificial garden"
Billy

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Did get the sweet corn in and some of the first planting is just coming up! Right now real busy with trying to weed and carry water to the VERY dry garden! ---No rain here for weeks, just hot, high winds that suck the moisture right out of the ground! thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Still no rain, but here are a few pix. of so far.

20180519_101423.jpg

20180519_101403.jpg

20180519_101319.jpg

Don't know how long this water hauling is going to last!!!---last year it went clear to harvest! LOL!!!! how you guys doing???? thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #88  
I could use some of that dry weather. It finally dried up enough to get the garden in, but since then, it's rained just about every day, ground is waaaay to wet to even walk through.

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #89  
Could use some dry weather here too. Have about half the garden planted,cukes and beans are up,sweet corn planted last Friday,rained every day since then. Need 2 or 3 dry days to get the rest planted. Been a wet cold spring,very few short windows to get things planted. I am ready for summer, my furnace is running as I type this,Sheesh!
Billy

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #90  
Went from cold and wet in April to dry and hot in May so far. ... Got tomatoes and peppers transplanted in a window, but had to water every other day. Potatoes looking very good along with onions.

I have several questions;
Why are there blank spaces between corn planting sprouts...some blank 3 feet in the row??. I hand plant each kernel
. the same way..about 1 1/2 inch deep....i.e. a knuckle and a half deep.
Same with Sugar Snap Peas and even my cukes?...about 1/2 inch deep
I've been hoeing triple 10 into the soil before planting the seeds if that makes any difference.

Will post some pics another day.

Cheers,
Mike001.JPG002.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited: