Garlic growing tips

/ Garlic growing tips #11  
I've noticed that the soil softness seems to influence bulb size, they grow better in the soil I've really worked on with leaves, compost, rotted manure, etc. It is now finally to the point where I can plant by hand just simply pushing the clove in the ground. Last year was my best crop ever, both soft and hardnecks. Obviously you have to work on Ph and nutrients too...

The soil where I plant mine is also like that, just push them in. The applications of shredded leaves really helps that.

/ Garlic growing tips
Thanks for the comments. I think that I will need to feed the soil with some compost and then mulch it. Next year I will be growing in a different place that looks more sandy and richer in organic matter.

The garlic I grew was a smaller hard neck type. I have no idea of type name as I got it from a friend. I did not water them at all as there was sufficient rain and reasonable water retention in the soil. The climate is the classical Meditarranean type with rain and cool temperatures over the winter. The temperatures drop to around 0deg C.

I did grow some bulbils but this does not account for the number of non segmented bulbs.

Looks like I have a job of building up the soil before the next season.

No one commented on the Ph. Does anyone know what is best?

Are the single bulbs likely to form normal segmented garlic?

Weedpharma

Last edited:
   / Garlic growing tips #13  
Hiya weedpharma

I'm from Central West, NSW. I know noting about Garlic but I just searched on Google for an Aussie garlic association. Bingo; Australian Garlic Industry Association (AGIA) at Home | The Australian Garlic Industry Association Inc.

"The AGIA was incorporated in 1991 and has since devoted itself to the promotion and development of the Australian garlic industry. ... snipped ... Today, the Australian garlic industry is resurgent to consumer requests and becoming stronger as consumers return to the fresh, tasty, aromatic garlic grown throughout Australia.
The AGIA is a non profit organization run by a board of elected growers.

I presume you are already a member as you have planted what I would call a commercial quantity and I'm sure you did your research into garlic before planting - hence you'd know about the AGIA. If not I think your should join. Orgs like that are usually very helpful to new members.

Mike

/ Garlic growing tips
Thanks Mike. I will have a look.

As far as being commercial, it is a long way off. My resulting crop from this season is about 2 x 20ltr buckets. I don't think the Chinese are too worried yet!!

Weedpharma

/ Garlic growing tips #16  
Are the single bulbs likely to form normal segmented garlic?

They should. If you grow from bulbils it is supposed to take 2 years. First year you plant the bulbil and get a single bulb, the second year you get a segmented bulb. When I have done this I mostly got segmented bulb although they were small.

Also, large cloves generally produce large bulbs. If you had planted a lot of really small cloves that might be why you got a lot of small bulbs.

/ Garlic growing tips #17  
I was told the soil needs to be worked to a soft state like it is done out west in the onion fields. A near sandy fluffy texture when initially planted. drainage with the sandy soil also needs to be good heavy clay dont drain and will ****** their growth some.
grown it a few times and have it growing along the back fence as a Hungarian variety one of my co workers brought back on a trip. it has smaller clove and a more mild taste, unfortunately the dog LOVES eating it off the back fence which means he often smells of it when he gets snacks! lol

Mark

mark

/ Garlic growing tips #18  
They grow a lot of onions here. They don't do anything different to the soil for onions than they do for other row crops. Not to say the soil type isn't more conducive to root crops, we mostly have silty loam and silt type soils.

The raised beds where I plant my garlic do have a lot of sand in them.

/ Garlic growing tips #19  
Weedpharma, One possibility is - Did you plant cloves from imported garlic? Having had a sheep and cattle station in NSW I know how fastidious the authorities are on fumigating etc. and there is a fair chance that it affects the growth.

/ Garlic growing tips
Weedpharma, One possibility is - Did you plant cloves from imported garlic? Having had a sheep and cattle station in NSW I know how fastidious the authorities are on fumigating etc. and there is a fair chance that it affects the growth.

The source of the garlic originally is unknown. I got it from a friend who's father in law (of European extraction) has been growing it for many years.

Weedpharma