Gas blew up in my face today

/ Gas blew up in my face today #11  
When I worked as a forest tech the standard mix for drip torch use was 1 part gas to 4 parts diesel fuel. Safe to use and will not flash over as easily, I would still hesitate to pour it on then wait too long to light it. Gas fumes are no very forgiving :fiery:

/ Gas blew up in my face today
Well, CM, there is not much left for us to say. You have pretty well covered it. All the causes and the effects and the risks, and the "might have beens".

Live long and prosper.

I only use oil and diesel fuel to start my fires. Gasloline is way to volatile

Lost most of my eyebrows once doing that sort of thing. Such lessons are very memorable. ;)

I use 25% gas to 75% drain oil most of the time.

Gas is too dangerous by its self. Sometimes I mix old gas with used oil but diesel or used oil is the preferred fuel.

Thanks all! I still can't fathom how I was so dumb about something so dangerous. I'm just glad I didn't get hit worse as the penalty for being foolish.
BTW, my wife spoke to the local pharmacist and got me some 'BurnJel' emergency burn care liquid, which I used on my arm. NOT for use around the eyes!
I keep the Neosporyn on my nose with a Q-tip.

I appreciate all of your contributions to the thread, and subtle reminders of how dangerous the gas alone IS.

/ Gas blew up in my face today
When I worked as a forest tech the standard mix for drip torch use was 1 part gas to 4 parts diesel fuel. Safe to use and will not flash over as easily, I would still hesitate to pour it on then wait too long to light it. Gas fumes are no very forgiving :fiery:

It's interesting you should bring this up. I was watching some program recently where there were forest tech burning grasses, maybe out West what with seasonal wildfires? Anyway, I was wondering how guys can have containers with whatever in them to spread contained fire starting, and what they might use to do so without being at extreme risk of self-harm by accident.

So I'm not completely clear on what you said about: 'I would still hesitate to pour it on then wait too long to light it. Gas fumes are not very forgiving'....
Are you saying NOT to wait too long to light the mix, and if so, why is that?

Thanks,

CM

/ Gas blew up in my face today #14  
Glad you are recovering!!

Just diesel here. Almost was burned using waste oil. Be careful that no one pours gasoline into your waste oil with out you knowing. Happened to me once years ago. Lucky for me it was a small amount and I was faced away when it flashed.

/ Gas blew up in my face today #15  
Anyone who uses gas...even mixed with other stuff, is a **** fool. All that is needed is diesel and even with that there is risk. I use diesel uncut with anything all. All it takes to start is pour and one match. Diesel will burn quite a while before it is burned off giving the wood time to get lit off. Gas is one flash and that is it.

That said, I was adamn fool this spring. Needed to light off a burn pile out in the boonies, no diesel but had chainsaw mix, poured a bit on, powdeer train trail, strike match and got a free shave. Burn pile did light off though.

/ Gas blew up in my face today #16  
Bud the same thing happened to a buddy of mine. He had to go to the hospital for a bit. He's a fireman also and knows all to well the dangers of gasoline.

Next time your out, buy a weed burner torch. Hooks to the propane tank. I can get just about any pole going even if it's green still. Let it dry out a bit and it's even easier. No danger of an explosion and very controlled. That's all we use anymore, don't mess with diesel and for sure gas anymore. Get to feeling better and thanks for writing this as I hope it'll help someone else

Brett

/ Gas blew up in my face today #17  
Gasoline vaporizes quite easily. The longer it is left the larger the vapour cloud and area covered by the cloud.

/ Gas blew up in my face today #18  
Thank you for posting your experience CM and I'm truly glad that you survived. Reminders like this are just as valuable as tractor advice or wearing chain-saw chaps.

As a personal note, when I do a burn (even in a burn-barrel) I not only wear long sleeves & full trousers + work boots, but I also don my set of Navy anti-flash elbow length gloves and hood.

My neighbours jokingly say that I look like an Ewok. :laughing:

I don't care... I'm wearing it. :yes:

Attachments

• anti flash.jpg
    anti flash.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 151
   / Gas blew up in my face today #19  
Dang...whew, speedy recovery.

/ Gas blew up in my face today #20  
Glad to hear you survived - it could have been a whole lot more serious.

Here is an added note - I'm Type 2 diabetic. If you are diabetic, like me, burns are a WHOLE LOT more serious. Infection, scarring and VERY slow healing.

It is IMPERATIVE that you see a doctor if you are diabetic and receive a burn.

Example - I was wearing shorts and riding my Harley. Burned my leg on the hot exhaust - actually left a patch of hide the size of a half dollar on the pipe. My family doctor was very upset that I waited three days before coming to see him. I finally went the third day because the sore remained open, would not scab over and kept dripping puss.