GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #11  
Everybody is going to take a beating whether they own a diesel or not if the price of diesel doesn't get back to normal.

The price of groceries is mainly transportation and distribution costs.

Very few people can get by without groceries.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #12  
I agree that things will go up (food etc). But everyone not driving a diesel is not going to take "the beating" as much. Why pay more all around if you do not have too?

For me the lower gas prices offsets the markup in food etc.

As I stated in another thread, diesel was cheaper for years and no one said a word. Now that diesel is more, diesel owners are upset.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As I stated in another thread, diesel was cheaper for years and no one said a word. Now that diesel is more, diesel owners are upset.)</font>

No one said a word because that price roughly reflected the cost of production relative to gas. Diesel cost less to produce and was priced accordingly. Is that so amazing that 'no one said a word?'

People are 'saying words' now because the cost of producing diesel fuel, although higher than it used to be, is still less than the cost of producing gasoline and gas is selling for a dollar a gallon less.

It is certainly not out of line to question why.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I think I'll go for a big block gasser instead. )</font>

If I did that it would be my luck gas would go way higher than diesel.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #15  
It is amazing - gas yesterday was $2.39 and diesel was $3.39. Not used to that kind of spread.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #16  
Every winter diesel prices go up and I hear the excuse about heating oil.

I don't buy that excuse. It's not like winter comes as a surprise. It comes around the same time every year. Doesn't anyone in the fuel industry have a calendar? Just put a reminder in the square for October 1 that reads: Make more diesel since it will be cold soon.

I'm a strong believer that diesel is more expensive because of greed. Below is an article about Exxon's CEO retiring with his big bundle of cash. How hard is it to be a CEO of company that sells a product everyone wants and needs and will pay just about anything to get? Tough job. I'm sure it requires playing a lot of golf with political types.

I think the free market system is the best thing out there but how much money does one man need? Greed.

ExxonMobil CEO will pocket half a billion
By Brett Arends
Friday, August 5, 2005

While you stand at the gas pump today, paying $2.37 or more for a gallon of regular unleaded, spare a thought for the chairman and CEO of ExxonMobil.
Lee Raymond just announced he's going to retire – with more than half a billion bucks.
How's that for executive compensation?
He's 67. He'll hand over power at the end of the year, probably to his No. 2, Rex Tillerson.
Stock market experts were yesterday asking: why now?
Among the possibilities: it allows Raymond to cash in on Exxon's soaring stock price to the tune of an extra $160 million.
Raymond's extraordinary fortune is detailed on pages 12 through 22 of the company's last proxy statement.
He owns 3.1 million common shares. At $58.52, last night's closing price, those are worth $181 million.
He also owns 2.7 million ``restricted'' shares. A company spokeswoman yesterday confirmed those were in addition to his common shares, and that Raymond's retirement allow him to cash them in.
Their value: $159 million.
He also holds 4.85 million stock options. At $51.26 a share, on Dec. 31, they were worth $65.8 million. That's since risen, with the share price, to $100.2 million.
Oh yes, and he has an $81.3 million pension fund, which will pay him $10.2 million a year.
Total value: $521.5 million.
He also cashed out another $44 million worth of options last year.
Raymond ran the company for 12 years.
It isn't as if this kind of corporate largesse was to make up for a shortfall in annual compensation.
Salary and bonus last year: $7.5 million.
And as if all that wasn't enough, there were all the perks.
Exxon paid all his membership fees to private clubs. Those came to a stunning $46,000 last year.
It paid $33,441 to a tax accountant who helped Raymond reduce the amount he'll have to hand over to Uncle Sam.
And he never had to stand in line at an airport or have his bags screened. He flew everywhere, even on personal trips, in private luxury aboard one of the company's planes. Exxon stockholders picked up the tab. His personal plane trips cost $89,246 last year alone.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

No one said a word because that price roughly reflected the cost of production relative to gas. Diesel cost less to produce and was priced accordingly. Is that so amazing that 'no one said a word?'

People are 'saying words' now because the cost of producing diesel fuel, although higher than it used to be, is still less than the cost of producing gasoline and gas is selling for a dollar a gallon less.

It is certainly not out of line to question why. )</font>

Yup diesel cost less to manufacture and you think that correlates to cheaper price; which is not always the case. As we clearly see.

Yes and it is greed which business is based on and no one can change that. That in itself is the beauty of it. They can do what they want, people will complain and nothing will change.

The fuel price could go up another 1 per gallon and people will still do what they always do. Drive and buy gas.

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #18  
Shimon – I hate to tell you but mobil has been pretty flat over 6 months if you look. Really the stock price is BELOW what it was 6-months ago.

So he bought stock low and sold high and why is that wrong???

/ GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP #19  
Just curious as no one has mentioned that a measure of crude has approximetly three parts gasoline and one part diesel components.

This ratio would indicate the supply of gasoline to diesel is much greater. Hence the lower cost of gasoline.

Egon