Oil & Fuel Gas in the diesel

/ Gas in the diesel #1  

donc45

Tractor
Long 360
Opps, I put gas in an empty tank. it ran for a while then stopped. My tractor is a long 360 with a three Cyl eng. No glow plugs. I realized my error and drained and flushed the system. With no glow plugs, what damage could I have done?

/ Gas in the diesel #2  
Best case, it didn’t hurt anything. Worse case it ruined the injectors and the injection pump.

/ Gas in the diesel
Thanks, I am thinking that as soon as the gas got to the injectors, it stopped. I drained and flushed it right then.

/ Gas in the diesel #5  
Only way you are going to know anything is fire it up..... It may not run well first minutes or so but if it settles in all is good....

Dale

/ Gas in the diesel #6  
A lot of times it will get a hot spot in the head gasket may not show up for a while , might eventually show up then you get a run away .:eek: Happened to me on a 80 ft. boom that was fun . But then again nothing might not ever happen some a hole put gas in my wifes excursion figures a woman didn't watch what he was doing the gas station drained everything changed filter . that was 135,000 miles ago so I gues everything is ok. Same a hole put gas in a cummins and it trased the p pump and injectors I think it was 5,000$ job. Needless to say he got fired. It all depends on the engine .:drink:

/ Gas in the diesel #7  
Several yrs back my daughter inadvertently put gasoline in her Dodge 1 ton that had diesel engine. She drove it over 60 miles but it put a different type smoke out tailpipe & was low on power. I drained tank,changed filter,put diesel in tank then bled system & engine started. Engine was running with no repairs required when she later traded it off

/ Gas in the diesel #8  
Back in the 80s, Benz actually came out saying to put 10% gas in diesel for winter starting. Some of us did this. Then they recanted, saying that the diesel posed a significant explosion risk as it would present an explosive mixture in the vapor part of the tank that is normally too rich in gas tanks and too lean in diesels.

Doubt it did any damage. Just drain and refuel.

Ralph

/ Gas in the diesel #9  
Other than running/performance symptoms I never saw a Diesel engine run long enough on gas or a heavy gas mix to hurt anything.

/ Gas in the diesel #10  
Back in the 80s, Benz actually came out saying to put 10% gas in diesel for winter starting. Some of us did this. Then they recanted, saying that the diesel posed a significant explosion risk as it would present an explosive mixture in the vapor part of the tank that is normally too rich in gas tanks and too lean in diesels.

Doubt it did any damage. Just drain and refuel.

Ralph
06 series Deutz tractor manuals have a chart showing how much gas to put into #2 diesel in the cold temps of winter... It was a recommended procedure...

SR