Gas/Oil Mixture

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
What are people running as their gas/oil mixture ratio in small two stroke engines?

When I was a kid back in the 1970's I used to mow a lot of neighborhood lawns. My dad bought me a Lawn Boy commercial mower. It was a 22" push mower with steel, ball bearing wheels and a cast aluminum deck. One gallon gas tank. Industrial two stroke engine. No frills, just built to last. We used 20:1 gas:motor oil. Some guys mixed 18:1. I mowed a lot of lawns with that thing and never had a problem. My dad was still using that mower in 2000 and beyond.

Nibbana

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #2  
I usually go about 45-1 on everything. It makes me feel a little better than going 50-1. I’ve never had a problem and I have a lot of two stroke equipment.

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #3  
I mix mine 50-1 like they say to do. I realize that’s probably largely due to emissions but I’ve done that for hundreds of gallons of mix and never had a failure.

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #4  
I do whatever the manufacturer recommends. Nowadays mostly 50:1.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Gas/Oil Mixture #5  
50:1 with echo red armour. 90 octane ethanol free gasoline. Use same mix in all 2 strokes

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #6  
I use 50:1 with high quality synthetic oil. Not Red Armor but I'll probably switch to that when I'm done with the stuff I have. The old 20:1 ratios were because the oil was poor. Chainsaws are low power industrial engines. They don't need a lot of oil like a highly tuned motorcycle race engine.

Also, the operator is breathing the exhaust which contains tiny droplets of unburnt oil. That's not good for you. Less of it is better.

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #7  
I follow the manufacturer's recommendations... for chainsaws 50:1. Hopefully they know what they are doing.
Somebody on this site has explained that too much oil will lean out the engine. I don't understand why, but it made sense when I read it.

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #8  
50:1 and mix 5 gallons a year with good 2 cycle oil for chain saws, Stihl blowers and Tanaka trimmer a gallon at a time to keep it fresh. Used to do 40:1 but 50:1 starts easier and runs cleaner.

/ Gas/Oil Mixture #9  
My dad run his chainsaw at 40:1, I run mine at 50:1 most of the time, that’s the manufactures recommendation but often i put a bit less gas in it so might be 47:1 just for safe measure.

Last edited:
   / Gas/Oil Mixture #10  
Oils have changed over the years also. So a Lawn Mower, Air Cooler, Hot Running, Small Engine, I would run a little Heavier than 50:1, maybe 40:1 or so. But Air Cooled Oil, not Outboard Oil that burns off at lower temps