Gas or Diesel

/ Gas or Diesel #11  
rboss75 said:
In short if your budget allows you get the 4wd and diesel you will be glad you did!
I believe rboss75 summed it all up very well with that one sentence.

Is 4wd absolutely necessary? No
Is a diesel engine absolutely necessary? No

Is either one or both nice to have? Definitely!

/ Gas or Diesel
Thanks for your opinions. I am a guy that likes to buy the best, or buy nothing. So, while i'm buying the best in it's class (JD X700), i see a 4 WD Diesel in my future. I was quoted a price of 13,100 with a 54 inch deck on the X739 and 1600 for the hydraulic blade. Never talked about the premium deck yet.
I'll be getting a price for the X758 this week. I'll also call a couple of deer dealers across the border in MI for pricing.
Man...them deers are pricy!!!

/ Gas or Diesel #13  
Thanks for your opinions. I am a guy that likes to buy the best, or buy nothing. So, while i'm buying the best in it's class (JD X700), i see a 4 WD Diesel in my future. I was quoted a price of 13,100 with a 54 inch deck on the X739 and 1600 for the hydraulic blade. Never talked about the premium deck yet.
I'll be getting a price for the X758 this week. I'll also call a couple of deer dealers across the border in MI for pricing.
Man...them deers are pricy!!!

I see your from Canada. To put it bluntly, we get it up the poop shoot here.

Tractors here are always a few thousand dollars more than our southern brothers get them for. $1,600 for the blade/quick hitch sounds about right. My dealer in British Columbia quoted me $1,650 for that setup. Mutton Power Equipment in Indiana sells the blade, and quick hitch with hydraulic angle kit for $1,239! Maddening!

Purchasing an AWD machine adds about $1,800 to the cost. The diesel engine adds another $800 or so. So I wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted about $15,500 for the X758.

I signed the papers on my X740 in February as quick as I could. At that time John Deere had the $1,000 rebate on, and my dealership was trying to move old X7's to make way for 2013 models. In Canada, an X740 usually runs for about $13,000, or even $13,500. When it was done I walked away paying $10,000 for the tractor with the 54'' deck, and a bunch of freebie accessories thrown in. In Canada, that is an unheard of deal, I couldn't say no.

/ Gas or Diesel
Purchasing an AWD machine adds about $1,800 to the cost. The diesel engine adds another $800 or so. So I wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted about $15,500 for the X758.
I might be wrong, but i think i remember them saying, a diesel would add 1500 bucks. I'll find out on tuesday, when i get a quote.

/ Gas or Diesel #15  
The argument of which is better diesel or gas has been going on since the diesels have been offered in GT's. The fact is gas engines will consume more fuel than a diesel about 1.1 gallons per hour vs about .9 gallons per hour for diesel but diesel cost more. There is no data that states that a diesel will last 2x as long as a gas engine, in fact my experience is that a gas engine will last as long, use the same fuel as my push mower and other equipment and be much easier to fix. The x700 gas engines are water cooled and most fuel injected, same as a diesel and I have yet to hear of one failing. We run both diesels and air cooled gas Kawasiki engines at work and have less problems with the gas engines. When the diesel do have a problem it is normally a more costly repair. I have also heard that diesels have more torque which is true but gas engines have more horsepower, but there is so little difference on these machines that you will not notice and believe me you will have plenty of both with either the diesel or gas. The diesel will cost about $1,000 more that the same gas model. Either gas or diesel x700 are great machines, but personally, I would rather spend my money on attachments. Either machine will most likely outlive it's owner if taken care of properly but most will get sold before that happens for something better.

/ Gas or Diesel #16  
The argument of which is better diesel or gas has been going on since the diesels have been offered in GT's. The fact is gas engines will consume more fuel than a diesel about 1.1 gallons per hour vs about .9 gallons per hour for diesel but diesel cost more. There is no data that states that a diesel will last 2x as long as a gas engine, in fact my experience is that a gas engine will last as long, use the same fuel as my push mower and other equipment and be much easier to fix. The x700 gas engines are water cooled and most fuel injected, same as a diesel and I have yet to hear of one failing. We run both diesels and air cooled gas Kawasiki engines at work and have less problems with the gas engines. When the diesel do have a problem it is normally a more costly repair. I have also heard that diesels have more torque which is true but gas engines have more horsepower, but there is so little difference on these machines that you will not notice and believe me you will have plenty of both with either the diesel or gas. The diesel will cost about $1,000 more that the same gas model. Either gas or diesel x700 are great machines, but personally, I would rather spend my money on attachments. Either machine will most likely outlive it's owner if taken care of properly but most will get sold before that happens for something better.

Well put Dashe,
And with these engines running a hydrostatic system which provide power to all your implements the idea of engine power loss under a heavy load is a moot point in my book provided The tractor is operated properly!.....

/ Gas or Diesel #17  
Before you buy the diesel I would make sure I know what I'm getting into. Glow plugs, lots of additives, Auto Zone sells diesel additives by the pallet load. Fuel gelling, longer warms up with the engine shaking, cold weather is a problem for a lot of diesels.

Water separators, that's a whole different ballgame all by itself.

How about warming up a diesel in your attached garage, get ready for a smoke out. One guy wrote in he always has soot on the front of his x7 after blowing snow or mowing grass.

Diesel is always higher priced then gas, and don't forget the storage of diesel fuel, and how far do you have to go to get it.

There are a lot of things you need to know with a diesel, so if you want one study up on it.

Ever wonder why a city bus has the exhaust pipe up by the roof, you should be around one when they first fire it up and give it the old clean out, aw never mind.

Rob

/ Gas or Diesel #18  
I almost forgot, if your going to get a diesel, you might want to do a little checking around your area on available diesel mechanics, sometimes they are hard to find a good one, then the prices they charge to work on one, that could be a little eye opener.

Parts and labor on a garden tractor versus a large farm tractor, well large farms deal in a lot of money, so getting a diesel mechanic for a garden tractor, more in likely he won't want to work on it versus the big tractors, its like getting one to commit to work on your rig for $300 or $400, that's another whole deal.

Check out who is available to work on it, you need to do the homework before you buy one.

Rob

/ Gas or Diesel #19  
Before you buy the diesel I would make sure I know what I'm getting into. Glow plugs, lots of additives, Auto Zone sells diesel additives by the pallet t load. Fuel gelling, longer warms up with the engine shaking, cold weather is a problem for a lot of diesels.

Water separators, that's a whole different ballgame all by itself.

How about warming up a diesel in your attached garage, get ready for a smoke out. One guy wrote in he always has soot on the front of his x7 after blowing snow or mowing grass.

Diesel is always higher priced then gas, and don't forget the storage of diesel fuel, and how far do you have to go to get it.

There are a lot of things you need to know with a diesel, so if you want one study up on it.

Ever wonder why a city bus has the exhaust pipe up by the roof, you should be around one when they first fire it up and give it the old clean out, aw never mind.

Rob

You dealing with a Yanmar mini-max diesel engine here. The emission controls are a lot better on these engines so the "smoke out" issue is not there. You will not get the "engine shake" on this tractor due to the rubber isolator mounts Deere uses. Cold weather starting should not be a problem seeing that Deere tested this quite a bit especially when the tractor is kept in doors. Also, when the tractor is kept in doors and you use good fuel, water in diesel should not be an issue. If you use an additive like Power Service with your diesel fuel, gelling will not be a problem and gelling is even less of an issue if the the tractor is kept in doors. As for soot, yes it can be issue, but that is easily fixed by putting a piece of sheet metal on the front of the exhaust pipe to extend and deflect the soot from hitting the tractor. While diesel fuel is more expensive, the fuel gives you higher BTUs when burned versus gas, that why diesel is more efficient; gas will be even more inefficient if the ethanol content goes up - more ethanol equals less BTUs.

http://us.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/liquid-cooled/minimax/3tnm72/

Last edited:
   / Gas or Diesel #20  
Well put Dashe,
And with these engines running a hydrostatic system which provide power to all your implements the idea of engine power loss under a heavy load is a moot point in my book provided The tractor is operated properly!.....

Implements are NOT powered via hydrostat. They are direct driven.
Diesel is the way to go if you can swing the extra dollars...I have an X748, and will never go back to a gas garden tractor....ever.