Gas Tank Location

/ Gas Tank Location #11  
I'll be darned - this is my "learn something new every day" item. Thanks much Jstpssng - I've never seen nor heard of this item.

It says 2 to 3 gpm. That would be plenty fast enough in my case. I fill my tractor EVERY time I use it - so its never even five gallons.

I've had the exact same experience with my low tech nozzle - five gallons gets too heavy - stupid plastic nozzle is just to weak and limp. Diesel fuel all over the place and all over me. The diesel smell is kind of like being hit by a skunk - you can shower till your skin is raw and you still have the whiffs of diesel.

Again - thanks Jstpssng - Exactly what I probably need - about as low tech as it can get.

/ Gas Tank Location #12  
I'll be darned - this is my "learn something new every day" item. Thanks much Jstpssng - I've never seen nor heard of this item.

It says 2 to 3 gpm. That would be plenty fast enough in my case. I fill my tractor EVERY time I use it - so its never even five gallons.

I've had the exact same experience with my low tech nozzle - five gallons gets too heavy - stupid plastic nozzle is just to weak and limp. Diesel fuel all over the place and all over me. The diesel smell is kind of like being hit by a skunk - you can shower till your skin is raw and you still have the whiffs of diesel.

Again - thanks Jstpssng - Exactly what I probably need - about as low tech as it can get.
My New Holland 1720 and Workmaster 50 had tanks mounted up top with the filler neck behind the steering wheel. A real pain to fill. I purchased a 12V pump off eBay. Worked great. Would empty a 5 gallon can in no time. My T4.75 has the tank mounted at the steps entering the cab. Much easier to fill but more exposed to debris, sticks, etc...Still much preferred IMHO.

/ Gas Tank Location #13  
At the end of winter before I unload my snowsled from the company truck for the last time I pull up next to my Ranger and drain the sled into the pickup. That siphon works pretty slick; despite all of the new formulations of both gasoline and diesel, they still haven't improved the flavor when you get a mouthful siphoning the old fashioned way. Bleah!!

/ Gas Tank Location #14  
For those of you that don't have the strength or balance to hold up 5-6 gallon cans, get 2 gallon cans, and a squeeze-start siphon from Walmart for about $6. They work great. Set your large can up on a cinder block and your smaller can on the ground. Stick the siphon into the large can, the output hose into the small can, give it a couple squeezes to get it started and you'll transfer 2 gallons in a couple minutes. Then, if you have the strength or balance, fill the tractor with the 2 gallon can, or, put the 2 gallon can on the fender, hood, wherever, and use the siphon pump to transfer it into the tractor.

I'm fortunate in that I'm strong and have good balance, and even I struggle with a full 6 gallon can with a short filler tube until I get a couple gallons out of it. The squeeze siphons really do work. Yes, they take longer, but hey, being down for a couple days due to a thrown out back is no good. ;)

/ Gas Tank Location #15  
   / Gas Tank Location #16  
I picked up on of these inexpensive transfer pumps for about $14 on Amazon. Runs what seems to be forever on 2 D-cell batteries, and is good for diesel, gasoline, water, and even hydraulic fluid. Transfers about 5 gallons per minute and, since the inlet valve is at the bottom of the intake pipe, it doesn't drip fluid all over the place. You can forget about lifting and spills with this little guy.

Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEBR3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/ Gas Tank Location #17  
Mine is low on left side in front of the step. I saw this as a HUGE improvement over my last one which was rear middle of hood. While this location is incredibly convenient and easy to fill from anything, I worry about it being so low and somewhat exposed. No issues yet from it being there other than positives like not spilling fuel or struggling with a 5 gal can at awkward angle.

/ Gas Tank Location #18  
I picked up on of these inexpensive transfer pumps for about $14 on Amazon. Runs what seems to be forever on 2 D-cell batteries, and is good for diesel, gasoline, water, and even hydraulic fluid. Transfers about 5 gallons per minute and, since the inlet valve is at the bottom of the intake pipe, it doesn't drip fluid all over the place. You can forget about lifting and spills with this little guy.

Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEBR3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The literature says 5-6 quarts per minute, not gallons. But it's still better than trying to pour and balance.

/ Gas Tank Location #19  
I use 6 gallon plastic containers.
My JDF 2030 is front of engine, through top of hood. PITA to fill, I stand on a platform or a front tire, not easy.
My JD 6415 fill to front of left steps, much easier. That tank has guard for the bottom.

Weight distribution and center of gravity are not a concern for me.

I hope to replace the 2030 with maybe a 5065M that fills front of left steps. But main reason to replace the 2030 is to upgrade from the collar shift transmission to something that shifts on the go.

/ Gas Tank Location #20  
The Under hood one suck because you inevitably spill fuel which goes all over the hood and eventually destroys your paint. The behind the van is great because everything back there with the 3 point hitch and PTO is already dirty/greasy/etc. the only issue there is sometimes getting between the tractor and implements to fill it and then if I use a standard plastic treehugger approved can I can’t empty the full contents into the tank because the can hits the back cab window on my CK3510 when you try to tip it up all the way to empty it . I solved that by buying a refueling tank and regular gas station nozzle setup.