Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it?

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #21  
Is 250,000 cubic feet a lot of Natural Gas? Sounds like a lot. I use propane, so I pay for Gallons. Definitely worth the effort to use it.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it?
RonRock said:
Is 250,000 cubic feet a lot of Natural Gas? Sounds like a lot. I use propane, so I pay for Gallons. Definitely worth the effort to use it.

I have propane gas logs. The price this week, for 100 gallon, was just under $2 a gal. I'm pretty sure propane has less btu than fuel oil.

When the gas guy was signing me up for drilling I believe he mentioned 100,000 cubic feet would compare to 1500 gal of heating fuel. I never did confirm this. However, for some reason I believe 100,000 cubic feet would heat an average size house. If it's same as even 1000 gal of heating fuel it would heat a lot of space if house is insulated good.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #23  
How about putting a small natural gas heater in your largest most used room. You could leave your furnace fan running all the time and circulate this heat. You could also heat this room to a higher than normal temperature (78 deg. or so). This would allow your heat pump to run a lot less and would not be very expensive. A gas hot water heater would also be a big help in reducing electricty use. They should probably be vented outside. This would be a lot cheaper than running a generator all of the time.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #24  
RonRock said:

Last January, we used 227 cubic feet of natural gas to heat our 2,080 square foot ranch house with full basement. I know the amount would be less if the shyster builder had done a proper job of constructing this place; but this is not the time or place to go into that subject. Last month, we used 11 cubic feet, which kept the water heater happy.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #26  
That's a very good point I didn't even think about, it is not odorized like commercially purchased gas would be. That could be quite dangerous indeed.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #27  
orezok & DieselPower said:
Remember that gas from the wellhead is not odorized and I would seriously think about bringing it into my house.

That's a very good point I didn't even think about, it is not odorized like commercially purchased gas would be. That could be quite dangerous indeed.
I don't think it's totally odorless:
I have driven by wells that are fairly close to the road and the smell was unmistakable that there was natural gas in the area.
A lot of people around here have free gas out in the country.
I'd never heard an odor issue mentioned.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #29  
The gas itself is odorless, but around many wells, there are odors, but it's not the natural gas you're smelling. On the other hand, sometimes you have the odor without the gas. When I was doing gas leakage surveys, I remember one rather large station where they were pulling their gas from the Tennessee pipeline and adding the odorant. The pipeline was running 975 psi at the time with gas without the odorant. Anyone getting within 50' of that facility would have sworn they had a bad leak, just from the odor, but in reality there was no gas leak at all; just a little from the odorant that was being added.

/ Gas well on farm. Can one run a car on it? #30  
Bird said:
1*The gas itself is odorless, but
2*around many wells, there are odors, but it's not the natural gas you're smelling.
1*This is correct.
2*Could that be because the gas has picked up oders fron varies under ground chemicals and minerals.
In any event if you have any odd smells in or around the house using free gass you'd best check it out as you may well have a gas leak.