Gas

/ Gas #11  
I put blue marine stabil in my 5 gallon cans and never worry about it after. Tanks in all my small engines stay full and ready year round. I keep my chainsaws on a "ready line" shelf... full, sharp, and ready to go. If it's not on the shelf then it's on the bench in need of whatever. Since using the blue marine stabil - all my fuel issues have ended. I also put high test gas in those 5 gallon cans. Probably not necessary, but considering how far it goes in small engines....why not? I've noticed an improvement in performance with the lawn tractors since doing that.

/ Gas #13  
I always store my small engines dry. If I am unsure whether I will need to use an item, I store with Full tank, full till it runs over.
The less air available is better for stored fuel.
Items like my gas generator is run dry with completely full tank of treated fuel. One year later, I drain and fill with fresh gas and use the drained fuel in lawnmower.

/ Gas #15  
I run high octane in all two strokes, aviation fuel at 50:1, no issues on time limits when properly stored in a cool dark area sealed, and out of direct sunlight.

/ Gas #16  
Cheapest AVGAS we have within 100 miles of here is $5.03 a gallon, with the average being around $5.50, while regular 89 octane car gas here is averaging around $2.90.

Running high octane fuel in a low compression engine, such as a chainsaw provides no additional value or power for the engine. High octane just helps prevent early detonation in high compression engines.

Stihl recommends 89 octane gas.

Add to that your own fuel costs for driving to an airport that will sell you AVGAS Vs. driving to the closest gas station and, unless you are like me where the airport is only a 4 mile round trip, the next closest airport is a 40 mile round trip that will cost 3 gallons of car gas in my Suburban, so, an additional $8.70 for fuel, while the 7/11 is less than a mile.

A at a 50:1 mix, that's not enough oil for many 2 stroke machines, as many require 40:1 ratios. That mixture may cause premature wear on an engine that requires a lower fuel to oil mixture ratio.

To summarize:
10 gallons of AVGAS will cost $55.00 plus $8.70 to transport it = $63.70. (plus wear and tear on my vehicle)
10 gallons of car gas will cost $29.00 plus 34 cents to transport it = $29.34 (plus wear and tear on my vehicle)

A bottle of Stabil costs 5-6 dollars on sale and will treat 20 gallons. That's the way to go. ;)

/ Gas #17  
Personally, I use ZERO ethanol. All of my equipment hates it - running rough, can't reach top rpm, hard to start.

I don't worry about leaving the fuel in most things but I do use Stabil and run the generator dry as it can sit for extended times.

/ Gas #18  
My Generac generator says to shut the fuel cock and run the carb dry when not in use. I also removed the gasoline from the tank after running carb dry. My Stihl saw says to run dry also, so I drain the gas back to my storage bottle and run it dry just like I do with most of my gas engines except the lawn mowers. I try to reduce the fuel to just a small amount and load it up with stabil for winter. Then in the spring, put in fresh fuel and more stabil for first use. So far only one time did I forget the stabil and the mower wouldn't even attempt to fire. Drained the fuel tank, put in fresh gas and right away it started up. The poured the old fuel into my rock driveway and it wouldn't even burn when I put a match to it. I had to use my propane torch to get it hot enough to start burning and then it smoked worse than diesel.

/ Gas #19  
My approach is this:
fact: ethanol is **** on machinery
fact: ethanol is most destructive when it's old
fact: it's a pain for me to get premium non-eth fuel but I can get it.

I burn most of my gas in my mower. So during the mowing season I run regular fuel with ethanol in it and I end up making a trip to fill tanks every couple of weeks. Once fall comes around I make a much longer trip to where I can buy E0 / 91 octane and I add a dose of Stabil. I use that mix to run down the mower for the end of the season and the E0 is the only thing I'll run in my saws and trimmers.

/ Gas #20  
Stihl recommends 89 octane gas.

Stihl recommends a minimum 89 octane. If you buy Stihl MotoMix formulated for 2-cycle engines, it is 92 octane. So, the fuel mix Stihl sells is higher than 89 octane, and one could infer that Stihl feels at least 92 octane would be preferred.