gasoline lifespan,without additive

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #11  
I just got my convertible out after a 4 year rest. It was filled in October of 2004 and fired up just fine last Friday. There may have been some evaporation as it took just over 10 gal to top off the tank and the ODO only showed 40 miles.... Then again it could be the hour of idle time once or twice a winter over the past 4 years?

I add stabil to it then fill before storage and then also add stabil after taking it out of storage. Really seems to clean up the gup.

jb

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #12  
I started and ran my old farmall C that probably had 10+ year old gas in the tank. Started and ran fine.

mark

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #13  
Over the weekend I was "summerizing" my snowmobiles with StaBil. I noticed in the fine print that StaBil is only good for 2 years after the seal is broken on the bottle. MikeD74T

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #14  
Mark; no one said that old gasoline wouldn't run an engine paticulary your vintage tractor. My Case DI is required to have a 65 octane fuel (5.58:1 compression ratio). Mine tractor could run on BudLite for that matter.

The point being is that fuel , all fuel will become stale and loose its BTU over time. Obviously , storage conditions, stability additives extend the inevitable. The other negative is the problem that old fuel can cause.

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #15  
I also have 90 gallons (2 x 45gal) in my old motorhome I only use to go to the races so it sits waiting for hurricanes. Great hurricane backup when the power is out for days using the shower, refrig, and generator I have hooked into the electric box on the house.

I use Holley electric fuel pumps to supply the MH engine and another for the generator. I've routed three way manual valves so I can feed the generator off either tank and an electric switchover to run the MH engine off either tank. I've wired a switch to the rear electric pump and one of the outputs from the rear manual valve is used as an output to fill my car off either the front or rear fuel tank. This way I use the gas in the car when I feel it's getting old and replace the fuel in the MH with fresh. Generators will run on old fuel but they run hotter, not good for most gen's. I usually go about a year without any problems, sorry can't comment past that. I put fresh fuel in if it looks like a hurricane is heading my way.

I used to gasp at $100. fill-ups. Now it sits as I ponder over $300. to fill and 7-8 MPG.

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #16  
I've never used a stabilizer, I use strictly premium gas in all my power equipment and have never had a fuel problem for up to a year at a time. Anything much over a year it's time to get rid of it. Sure, it may start & run the engine but it won't be long before you'll be doing a fuel system cleaning/overhaul and it's not likely your engine will be putting out the power when using fuel that old because of reasons already stated here. I can start & run an engine on a spray can of choke spray but try using that to operate the auto/equipment under load and see how far you get. Ethanol in gasoline creates some mighty nasty crud in fuel systems, it makes some real nasty pink stuff from reacting with aluminum and it doesn't take very long to form this stuff. It also deteriorates/rots neoprene and will swell even Viton after long enough exposure - I've had brand new accelerator pump cups swell & stick in their bores in alot of the Japanese carbs from alcohol blended fuels in years past. Had to source leather pumps for some to solve the problem. As already mentioned, it draws water like flies to .... too !!

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #17  
I stopped using Stabil a few years ago. Not that it was a terrible product, but have had excellent results with Power Research products for gas and diesel.

PRI Advanced Fuel Treatments

I have used the product for gas in storage for over a year. You can get a pretty good price on the stuff doing a search of it on the net.

Just an FYI.

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #18  
We buy 250 gallons of unleaded regular from our co-op. We have a 300 gallon drum on a stand in the shade. Been doing this for years. Never had a problem with it in any vehicle from new Dodge Ram 1500 to a Golden Jubilee. If I fill the tractor, mower, trimer, ATV, tiller, chainsaw, etc. I put Stabil in the tank. If I put some in a 5 gallon container I put Stable in the can too.

/ gasoline lifespan,without additive #19  
Well, I would NOT use fuel with something. I had major issues with fuel without adds. without "corn" in fuel was no issues. Now, the crap turns to 2-parts fuel as you CAN see....I hate this 10% stuff.