Comparison Gasoline vs. Diesel

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #41  
especially if it was a loader tractor.. at least for me.

I get more seat time on my loader machine.. but I am usually idling around and only put my foot in it when needed.. thus my most used machine uses the least gas.. ( and it's a gasser too! ) :)

soundguy

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #42  
Guys, I really appreciate the feedback and I have to say I'm impressed. 3 pages of comments and they're all well thought, well articulated and I don't disagree with any of them. Even the ones that got technical got it right to the best of my knowledge.

Let me ask it another way: It's 2013 and you're on the showroom floor looking at a 35hp diesel CUT. In 2011 you could take that tractor home for $12,000. Today (2013), they can't let it go for anything less than $16,000 and it has EGR and a DPF. There's another identical 35hp CUT on the floor, the only exception being it's gasoline powered. What would the price of that gas tractor have to be before you'd seriously consider it? Keep in mind it's fuel injected and electronically controlled so the points and carburetors we all grew up to hate on a gas tractor are things of the past.
I think the answer to this question is hidden under the hood of the new 2011 F-150. They have a 3.5L V6 with Twin Turbos making diesel like power. If this motor works out over the next few years I think you will see it making its way into just about every piece of equipment out there. Scale it up and down and the possibilities are endless.

Chris

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #43  
have they oversized the radiator and exhaust to deal with the extra heat ( extended heat? )?

soundguy

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #44  
I think the answer to this question is hidden under the hood of the new 2011 F-150. They have a 3.5L V6 with Twin Turbos making diesel like power. If this motor works out over the next few years I think you will see it making its way into just about every piece of equipment out there. Scale it up and down and the possibilities are endless.

Chris

I just checked out their website. 302 HP from a factory V-6; impressive.2011 Ford F-150 | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com

I'm due for a new company truck in 2013. If this motor works out I may try to have them buy me one.

do you suppose it'll have enough torque to run that 6-speed efficiently?

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #45  
I just checked out their website. 302 HP from a factory V-6; impressive.2011 Ford F-150 | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com

I'm due for a new company truck in 2013. If this motor works out I may try to have them buy me one.

You found the specs on the lower horsepower normally aspirated 3.7 liter V6. The ecoboost is a smaller 3.5 liter, but it puts out 365 HP with torque curve that peeks low and goes to the redline.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #46  

Look at that 3.5L with the twin turbos. It makes 420 FT LB at 2500 rpm. Its about a $600 upgrade for this motor. Seems like a game changer to me.

Back to tractors, a motor like this could do the trick with gas.

Chris

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #47  
Look at that 3.5L with the twin turbos. It makes 420 FT LB at 2500 rpm. Its about a $600 upgrade for this motor. Seems like a game changer to me.

Back to tractors, a motor like this could do the trick with gas.

Chris

it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. It'll be interesting to see how a lot of things change over the next couple of decades.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #48  
it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. It'll be interesting to see how a lot of things change over the next couple of decades.

I have no interest in seeing how I change over the next couple decades :laughing:
Dave.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #49  
I have no interest in seeing how I change over the next couple decades :laughing:
Dave.

Hey, we're like a fine wine; we just improve with age.:cool:

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #50  
For me, It is about the money.
If I can get the work done with either machine, It is going to be about purchase price, and operational cost.
I have a gas and a diesel machine, I use both.
Both have advantages and drawbacks that I use to my advantage.

So, yes I would by gas if it made sense.

Oh, by the way, the gas tractor is over 50 years old and still gets the job done.