Gassy Dog

/ Gassy Dog
If yogurt helps it makes me wonder if a probiotic tablet would help more.

/ Gassy Dog #22  
If he was running me out of my living room regularly, he'd be my new outdoor pet.

I found Eukanuba to be a good food for my dog. Cut down on gas and the amount of stool by a LOT when we switched him. Had been feeding standard Purina, but vet taught us about fillers, etc, and he was right. Also great benefit was to his coat. I didn't expect that.

/ Gassy Dog #23  
We had a dog that could clear the room in mere moments until we switched dog food to a higher quality one with less grain. There is a site on the net that rates dog foods from one to five stars. We found some four star at Costco that are fish or beef or turkey and priced OK. Problem solved. I would steer clear of the vet dog foods unless they rank high on the recommended list. Price is too high for what you get.

I wouldn't give the poor dog beano. You wouldn't eat his worming pills, would you?

/ Gassy Dog
I wouldn't give the poor dog beano. You wouldn't eat his worming pills, would you?

I might if I had worms.

Bean-o is simply an enzyme that breaks down certain carbs. It mixes with food in the GI tract and has no significant systemic affects.

/ Gassy Dog #25  
diet diet diet...

/ Gassy Dog
We've changed food and it might have helped a little but he still has his days. My wife found a probiotic pill for dogs that also has the ingredients that bean-o has and she has tried that too. He likes to eat them. Maybe a little better. I can live with a gassy episode on occasion and I think that is where we are now so we'll stick with the new food and the gas pills for a while.

/ Gassy Dog #27  
We've changed food and it might have helped a little but he still has his days. My wife found a probiotic pill for dogs that also has the ingredients that bean-o has and she has tried that too. He likes to eat them. Maybe a little better. I can live with a gassy episode on occasion and I think that is where we are now so we'll stick with the new food and the gas pills for a while.

(Oh, how to put this delicately?) May I ask if your lovely wife's occasional gassy episodes have cleared up? :eek:

/ Gassy Dog #28  
No input on your situation, but reminded me of a funny story. Well had this stupid cat named numb nutts that wouldn't touch any meat with a ten foot pole. Grabbed the cat one day and had a raw piece of chicken in my other hand and that cat like to tore me up trying to get away. Only thing that cat would eat that resembled meat was the summer cicada hatch. Was working on my truck a few years ago, and it was cold outside around 30 degrees with freezing rain, and wanted to take the truck on a test drive after repairing. Well that cat was hanging around so I grabbed the cat and threw it in the truck with myself and the nephew. Well that cat jumped up on the dash and laid down and was enjoying the heat from the defrosters running, about that time the cat farted, and that mixed with the warm air from the defrosters, had to roll all the windows down on the truck just to make it back to the house.

/ Gassy Dog #30  
Last year we rescued a greyhound fresh off the track. He was quite underweight because that is their prime racing condition. We fed him a high quality food but he gulped it down faster than I ever saw a dog eat before, probably because he was used to being so hungry all the time.

He woke us up several times as he odorized our house during the night, with us first blaming each other for the foul smell until we realized it was him. We tried feeding him all the recommended things for this condition, pumpkin, green beans, rice, yogurt, with him happily gulping down the food as fast as we could put it in his dish. Still, the smell persisted.

By this time he had gained a little weight but still ate like he was starving. Our next plan was to make him eat slower. I took him out in the yard and threw a few handfuls of food around in the grass, making him look for each individual piece insuring that he would be eating slower. He rewarded us that night by letting us have an uninterrupted sleep and a sweeter smelling house in the morning.

We fed him this same way for a few weeks with good results and by the time he was up to his recommended weight he was eating slower and sometimes not even finding all the food in the grass before finishing up.

We then put small amounts of food in his dish several times a day which he seemed to eat at more of a normal pace and we were able to cut down on our Febreze bill.