Gate Opener

/ Gate Opener #11  
I have had the Mighty Mule for years. All solar, operated by a marine 12 volt battery, key pad on the outside and remotes for us.

I program the pad for UPS, Fed-X, Friends ... sure they have to get out to enter the code.

I have a generic code to give to callers who need in.

I got mine in 2004 (I think) only one problem ...a little something board went bad and they shipped direct and an easy fix ... I am about 700' and fiqure it works so well why spend the money on wire, trencher etc ...

/ Gate Opener #12  
Before you purchase the Mighty Mule I would first take a drive and check out all the gate operators that are hanging disconnected. The vast majority of them are going to be GTO (mighty mules).I once took a GTO class offered by King Metals here in Dallas. It was a one day thing and the lure was one free operator for attending.

I never got the free operator but didn't consider that a loss.

One thing I did learn was the attendees that loved the GTO products were guys who specialized in repairing them. Business was great according to them.

Automatic has a new operator out that is supposed to compete pricewise with the Mighty Mule. I've had good luck with Automatic operators over the years. I also know one of the owners and believe he wouldn't be associated with a substandard product.

An operator like the Apollo or Automatic Patriot is going to cost you at least half as much up front more. It's money well spent.

The Apollo operator is manufactured and home based close to you. They're also a great operator that I've had good luck with over the years.

I've got a Mighty Mule arm disconnected right now. After disassembling, found the motor to be shot. GTO does NOT sell the motor separately, they WILL sell you a replacement arm for $200 even though the little 12vdc motor is probably a $20 item based on what I've seen online for similar units. :mad: I have not been able to locate the exact replacement by p/n anywhere but it looks like something that is used in remote control toy cars, so this week I'm going to try and take it around to hobby shops and find something equivalent. Anyone else have any luck finding a distributor for the motor or a suitable replacement? I think it's made in China and I thought I had a lead on a company in the UK that stocked them, but I figure there's GOT to be a US distributor.

/ Gate Opener #13  
Does anyone have an idea of what a "reasonable" life expectancy would be for a gate opener? The reason for the question is my MM 350 has been on my front gate since March 2005. Only minor problems experienced mostly caused by the gate sagging or high winds. By the way, it is solar powered.

/ Gate Opener #14  
mine is solar as well. in 5ys i'm on my 2nd one.

fuse popped ont he old one.. and i guess board died. tsc had them on sale that week, so i just got another for about the same price as a fix from mm.. plus I got an extra remote doing it that way, and new hookup hardware.

if this one dies before 5ys.. I will think about other options..

soundguy

/ Gate Opener #15  
I have two mighty mules. One is currently broke because someone pushed it. they have plastic gears and pushing by people, animals or wind will break them. I have an apollo articulated arm opener on my main gate. It is far superior to any mighty mule product.

I have not done so but you could use one of the Dakato MURS units and put the base station at the gate and use it to trigger the gate control.

MURS Alert Driveway Alarms

/ Gate Opener #16  
Two years ago after much research I installed a US Automatic Patriot solar gate operator. It has been flawless in its operation. I use 2 wireless keypads for guest as well as the wireless push button controll for my truck.
I found a vendor for this on EBAY and recieved great service from them. One of the selling features on this operator to me is the soft start and stop which makes everything work smoother and is much easier on all of the components. They are built in the Dallas, TX area.

/ Gate Opener #17  
i see gto now has a light duty 12' gate opener, listed as a '200' vs the 350 model. um.. I think I'd pay the extra 49$ and get the 350 model even on a 12' gate.. :)

soundguy

/ Gate Opener #18  
I have an Apollo that is about 15 years old. I have not had any problems at all with it. My gate probably weighs about 250 pounds, (and is on rollers), and covers a 16 foot wide entrance. I have it on 2 solar panels with a voltage regulator. All I do is grease it occasionally, rotate the battery out now and again, and buy a new clicker when one goes bad. It's been a good value for the money.

/ Gate Opener
Thanks for all of the replies. I have not made up my mind on a specific opener. I was just looking at the wireless keypad and the distance I am going to need.

/ Gate Opener #20  
I am a distributor for GTO, the manufacturer of the mighty mule. The frequency is 318mhz. I don't know of a way to increase the range with the FM136. There is a company that makes a long range system that is wireless. The line of sight from house to operator needs to be clear. The range is up to 1/4 mil. I have sold them and they work well. You would need more solar power, and probably a marine battery instead of the small battery that comes with the unit.