Gator CX Snow Plow

/ Gator CX Snow Plow #1  

Rubberducky

Tractor
John Deere X300 JD Deere Gator CX
Hey guys. I want to put a plow on my Gator CX. This little gator makes up my 1000' driveway in 8" snow with no problems. I am thinking if I can make the first pass down and then take smaller bites on the up drive I will be ok.

My dealer (very small) said he has never put a plow on one. I have seen them on YouTube, but none of the videos detail the plow they used. I will be putting a winch on shortly to handle raising and lowering. I am just not sure about the mounting etc. My welder finally died so I was hoping for bolt on, but if I have to fab up some brackets I can use my dads mig. What do you guys think?

/ Gator CX Snow Plow #2  
I used an Eagle plow (American Manufacturing - Home) a couple seasons on my 855D. This was a used plow purchased from another TBN member, DIXIEDOG.
It worked quite well and does use the Gator's installed winch to raise and lower the plow. BTW, I suggest you replace the winch wire rope with a boat winch webbed strap, if you go with a winch.
The Eagle plow mounts on the Gator's skid plate...all bolts, no welding. That's good, BTW, since you might bend something. I did and I had to dismount the plow and disassemble part of the Gator's front end to straighten everything out. This happened when I tried to ram through frozen slush...so learn from my mistake.

4WD helps a lot and I hope your CX has that. You'll probably want weight (sand bags) in the cargo box too. Also, with the CX, you'll probably want to start plowing when the snow accumulation reaches 4"-5". And, like any plow...if you get repeated snows, sooner or later, you'll run out of room to push it.

I sold the plow earlier this year when I bought a cabbed 4520...much warmer and I do use a 3PH blower when the snow is >5" or so.

/ Gator CX Snow Plow #3  
I have an old 4 x 2 gator with a 60" moose country plow and with weight and chains canplow alot

/ Gator CX Snow Plow #4  
Here is an option that might work for you. Light and easy for anyone or any machine to handle. No additional hydraulics, winches, etc needed.

ATV Snow Plow Blade | UTV Plows & Blades | SNOWSPORT All Terrain Plow

54" up to 78" widths. I have a 74" one mounted on my 825i.

video of it working....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfqHTJkqH-0

How will it handle rough terrain, yards, etc? here ya go. This is the pickup version in the video, but the same for ATV/UTV version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO1N0S-nIr4

I can lock the blade down to scrape if I need to. I didn't need a special mount for my 825i. Anyone with a 2" receiver hitch on the front can avoid that.

/ Gator CX Snow Plow
Well I got the plow on my CX and have used it on 6" of snow we got the other day. It did great. My only issue is getting the tire chains to stay on. My driveway is about 1000' with about 60ft of steep incline near the top. With the bed loaded and chains on she pushes snow right up the incline and I wasn't even locking the diff! The only thing I don't have is power angle, but I can live with that for now. I also found a top that fit somewhat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 1,699
Last edited:
   / Gator CX Snow Plow
Is there a way to add a power angle adjustment to a non hydraulic set up? I have a throttle cable type set up that pulls back the lock on the angle adjustment. I haven't mounted it in the cab anywhere so it's just coiled up under the dash. So I can unlock the angle plate, but have no way of moving the plow itself. I definitely don't want some arm sticking up or some other crude thing.

/ Gator CX Snow Plow
Well a year later and still going great. I don't get stuck because of wheel traction, but rather ground clearance. If it's deep I end up on top with the wheels off the ground. I am talking about the 16" we just got. Anything 10" and under it eats it up. I am looking to get into something 4wd with a Curtis cab and heat. My kids always want to come with me and we drive around a lot too so the bigger machine makes sense. Anyone have a larger machine available? Here's from the 16".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 683
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    918.2 KB · Views: 1,686
   / Gator CX Snow Plow #8  
What brand/model was the plow you ended up with on your CX?

/ Gator CX Snow Plow #9  
Well a year later and still going great. I don't get stuck because of wheel traction, but rather ground clearance. If it's deep I end up on top with the wheels off the ground. I am talking about the 16" we just got. Anything 10" and under it eats it up. I am looking to get into something 4wd with a Curtis cab and heat. My kids always want to come with me and we drive around a lot too so the bigger machine makes sense. Anyone have a larger machine available? Here's from the 16".
What plow/mount did you end up using? Any way we could get a better picture of the mount?