Snow Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice...

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #11  
This is a similar pic from a couple of days ago before the real snow hit. They said we had about 15" or so here, but I think it was a little less. The BX23 had no traction problems at all plowing with the exception of sometimes veering off course while pushing with the blade on a steep angle. I just backed up and took another bite. I keep the backhoe on and when I bought the tractor I wasn't sure whether to get turf or AG tires. Got advice from the TBN'ers & the dealer said he had no trouble with his own BX23 plowing with a front blade & turfs on a steep drive so I decided to go with the turfs. One time today while pushing a very big load with the blade straight I had to engage the lock, but except for that the traction was very impessive. He also said I would't need a block heater. He was wrong on that one. It always started without one but it complained & struggled a lot. Picked up a magnetic one at TSC and it made a huge difference. I think I'll install the block heater when I change the coolant. Notice in the pic I wear a reflective vest to be more visible, especially when I'm near the road. I figure it's cheap insurance. BTW I have about a 450' drive that is packed process stone/ dirt for about 300' and the rest closer to the house is traprock. Put on skid shoes which works well on the packed drive in the float position, but I have to work the valve not to dig up & push the traprock. Back bladeing works much better on that part.

Attachments

• 570817-snow canopy.jpg
    570817-snow canopy.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 555
   / Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #12  
You can lift the bucket, move it to full dump position and then lower it back to the ground with some force, then curl the bucket back towards the full up position and it will force the tractor backwards. You may have to do this a few times but can probably free yourself without getting off the tractor this way.
Your cover-it shelter looks like mine- snow up the sides to the point where the roof pitch starts!! Don't forget to take some of that snow away from each edge of the shelter so the snow on the roof can slide off.

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #13  
Please send as much snow as you can spare to South Carolina. We need it.

Thanks

Hugh Sammons
Columbia SC

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #14  
We actually have very little here in VT. This past weekend, the storm went south of us and we got only 3-4 inches.
I would gladly send it ALL to you, but our ski areas would object- they already are sadly in need of more.

This past weekend they did truck in 1000 loads for a snowcross (snowmobile) event at a local fairground.

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( when you get stuck in 4WD, don't forget the differential lock. )</font>

milkman -

definitely good advice - used my diff-lock fairly extensively (same storm as Jim - just farther West - got @ 14-16") - but my heel got kinda tired holding it down.

Anyone know of a "locking" differential lock for a Kubota B7610 - so the CUT would stay "locked" without having to hold down the pedal?

Also joined the "what's that funny smell? / drive around with the parking brake on" club. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Got off the seat on a slight incline - set the brake for safety. Had trouble moving afterwards - so I switched to LOW range - she moved fine after that....but what's that strange smell....have not smelled that before...hmmmm??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Probably on had it on for only 3-5 minutes - but add me to the list of folks looking for a "Parking Brake - Idiot Light" for my Kubota! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Final thoughts: while I didn't buy my 'Bota for snow clearing duties - I did need to "tidy up" after the snow plow guy left - I had three great (but cold!) hours of seat time! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Lot's of fun moving big piles of fluffy snow! (Heh - my wife asked afterwards if I really needed to clear THAT much snow...)

Don't think it would go so well, however, using just the FEL when the snow is heavy, wet and sticky - maybe I can start wishing for a 'blower - and get rid of my walk-behind model! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Dan

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #17  
<font color="blue"> </font>

I believe tha RTV has a button that locks the differential lock, I'm sure one could be made that will work on the tractors also.

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #18  
Nah. You must be mistaken. You can't get stuck with a FEL.
Actually, I got stuck once when I was axel deep in ooze, but the FEL wouldn't push ....

What you do is lift the FEL. Lower the bucket to the ground and push down a bit (just take some weight off the front wheels).

Put her in 4WD, preferably with the differential locked, and reverse while rolling the bucket.

Almost always, that will give enough of a push to get you out of a jam.

Of course if you are stuck in ooze, the bucket can't push anything so you have to call Gary, my neighbour, to pull you out with his Kubota.

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #19  
Hi Jim,

You guys got more snow then we did out at the west end of the state, that's for sure. We only had about 14".

I'm not going to be quite so quick to condemn you for getting stuck. Perhaps with the differential lock and use of the loader you might have been able to get free. I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

You mention that one rear wheel (right side) was in a hole. So, that wheel gets no traction as it slips in the hole, therefore without the rear differential locked, you have no traction on the back because the other wheel is off the ground. Even with the diff. lock, the left rear wheel has little or no traction because it's either in the air or just grazing the snow. The one in the hole effectively has a wheel chock behind it so it can't go anywhere either.

Up front, since the tractor is tilted, the left front wheel is in the air, so it just spins, therefore, there is no tractive force up front. The right front wheel on the ground doesn't have any force if the other front wheel is spinning as there is no differential lock up front.

So, the only wheel you have that could possibly pull you out is the one in the hole, and that one has no traction due to the ice and snow packed in the hole as well. Like I said, it's like having a wheel chock behind it.

Now, the loader might be able to push you back, but it looks like your rear blade is in the snow resisting rearward motion. You've got snow everywhere so often times the tractor just slides a little rather than move where it's supposed to.

I couldn't tell if you had chains or not, but if you don't have them, I think you should get them. They made a world of difference on my B2910. I don't know for sure if they would've helped enough to get you out of your problem this time, but it certainly would've been one more tool in your arsenal.

Someone once posted on here that you can get ANYTHING stuck under the right conditions, and I believe that is true. Part of the problem is that with 4WD we "think" we can do and go anywhere, and that's just not true.

As far as keeping the differential lock held down, that is NOT a good idea. It must be able to release if the tractor turns at all (one rear tire need to go faster than the other) otherwise damage may result to the locking mechanism.

You can always get a blower for the back, that's what I have on my tractor. I sometimes use my rear blade, but for large snowfalls, I always make sure the blower is on.

Good pics. If nothing else, it was a learning experience.

~Rick

/ Gave the BX23 a good snow workout - stuck twice... #20  
If you have a FEL you should very rarly get stuck. Just use the loader to push you out along with the 4x4 and dif lock you shouldn't had no problem. I post some pics of my tractor although the best one came out blurry.

Attachments

• 571306-DSC00866.JPG
    571306-DSC00866.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 326