GC 1700 mowing RPM

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #1  

CBCGC1715

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
So I own a GC 1715 and was curious what rpm do you mow with a MMM?

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #2  
I run at 3200 rpms on my 1710 which is what it recommended for optimal PTO speeds

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #3  
And on the other hand, I run around 1800-2000, which is plenty of speed under normal circumstances. I'll run a bit higher if the grass is really tall and/or I hear the engine slowing down. Pretty much a personal choice, though lower speeds do use less fuel.

One of the reasons I bought a M-F instead of a Kubota (remember this was 11 years ago): the Kubotas didn't reach rated power unless running at pretty much the max RPM, whereas the GCs, with their larger engines (1100cc vs. 900cc at the time), worked fine at lower speeds.

PS-- Interesting that cglaser listed 3200 RPM; my GC2310 is marked as reaching rated PTO speed at 2300 RPM -- perhaps a typo??

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #4  
So I own a GC 1715 and was curious what rpm do you mow with a MMM?
Same rpm as you mow at 540. Minimum. I like to keep my tractor wide open throttle. Keeps blade tip speed up and doesn't lug the system down.

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #5  
Should be 2500rpm (inside the green zone) shouldn't it?

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #6  
Depends on the model of the tractor, I suppose. Here's what my tach looks like -- a lot different (SMALLER & harder to read!) than current models. The white mark is engine speed to produce rated PTO speed and, I presume, rated HP.

Mine is marked at around 2300 RPM engine speed, but I do run it a bit less unless conditions warrant "full" PTO speed. Most of the time 2K is fast enough for both mowing and blowing; a tiller is a different story.

DSC07409.jpg

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #7  
I’ve been running around 2,000 to 2,500, figuring the MM PTO is labeled 2,000 RPM on the lever.

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #8  
These things are robust - 2000RPM is the mid-mount PTO speed, but isn't the max that you can run the mower. I have removed the guard from my mower (as others have done), which better disperses the clippings and prevents the windrows. I generally ramp it up to just below the orange mark on the tach. I get a faster blade speed, more ground speed and less bogging down when hitting the taller patches. When I had to neglect mowing due to a vacation, I was able to run BOTH my 60 inch MMM and my 60-inch RFM simultaneously. So long as I engaged the PTO at 2000 or more RPMs, both started spinning and I ramped up from there. Locked the MMM in the up position to clip the top few inches and then went through with the RFM to clear it down to an acceptable height and neither mower had to become a bush hog.

Last edited:
   / GC 1700 mowing RPM #9  
I’ll have to look into removing the guard, or find a way to keep it lifted up. I have one section of yard that grows twice as fast as the rest, and the windrows drive me insane. Of course, it’s the section that everyone sees.

/ GC 1700 mowing RPM #10  
I’ll have to look into removing the guard, or find a way to keep it lifted up. I have one section of yard that grows twice as fast as the rest, and the windrows drive me insane. Of course, it’s the section that everyone sees.
It doesn't hinge into a full up 90-degree position, so removal is better, but then you need to be sure that nobody is in the vicinity while mowing. Just 4 simple nut/washer combos and it comes right off.