GC 1705 in snow

/ GC 1705 in snow #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
I am wondering how well a 2017 GC 1705 will push and load snow. Do I need chains just on the front or no chains at?

/ GC 1705 in snow #2  
All flat surface pushing?
Rear chains will give you better traction also loaded tires or rear ballast,if decide on rear chain check to see if you need rear spacers.

/ GC 1705 in snow
Thanks for the info I'm betting chains are very expensive for the rear tires and probably a pain to install?

/ GC 1705 in snow #4  
We never pushed snow or used the loader. Every year I would put the snowblower on the front for my dad to use at his place. It's a 2014.

Flat surface no chains required for that. He had a slight incline and it was a challenge with no chains.

We never got chains for it but if someone keeps them tight I'd use them. Front or back, you will get many suggestions.

Things to light, Ballast will definitely make a big difference

/ GC 1705 in snow
What do you mean by ballast liquid in the rear tires? Also he mentioned spacers for chains being a new owner I'm clueless.

/ GC 1705 in snow #6  
In the tires or maybe make a ballast box for the 3 point. Anything to add weight will help.

When I load gravel in our dump truck, I'll throw the tiller on the back to keep the back wheels planted better.

Good little tractor but it's light.

As for spacers, gotta make sure you can clear the axle/frame on the side. I never put chains on it so not sure if there's enough.

/ GC 1705 in snow
In the tires or maybe make a ballast box for the 3 point. Anything to add weight will help.

When I load gravel in our dump truck, I'll throw the tiller on the back to keep the back wheels planted better.

Good little tractor but it's light.

As for spacers, gotta make sure you can clear the axle/frame on the side. I never put chains on it so not sure if there's enough.
Okay I Thank You for the advice even tho it is over 100 here in central Illinois winter is not that far from us.

/ GC 1705 in snow #8  
So the first question would be "What tires do you have?". If your tractor has turf tires there's a good chance you won't need chains. If you bought industrial (Backhoe) tires you'll need chains or people have had luck with sipping them too. If you bought ag tires then cheap chains will help a little but they tend to fall into the lugs and are close to useless there. If you buy ladder chains for ag tires you'll be ok.

Second question is what kind of snow do you get? We generally have really dry snow and I can push with the fel until the engine stalls. (35 engine horse power with turf tires) If the snow is wet and icy I run out of traction very quickly but that's only happened once since 2004.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea. I had a set of chains for my 955 but never used them.

/ GC 1705 in snow #9  
Thanks for the info I'm betting chains are very expensive for the rear tires and probably a pain to install?
All depends on the grip you want.
Putting chains on not pain,there many different ways I prefer jacking up rear end,after chain I use heavy duty bungee cords for the extra snug.

youtube shows idea how to put chains on.

/ GC 1705 in snow #10  
Every situation will be different, so you will get a wide range of answers, some relevant, some not.
Driveway:
paved/gravel
flat/sloped
existing road crown, does it slope down into ditches on the sides (enough of an angle, you can slide sideways in icy conditions)
Is there room at the ends or sides to push snow into a pile for the entire season (this is why blowers are preferable)
Tractor:
Type of tires on unit (turfs work quite well in icy conditions, chains help in deep snow)
Rear counterweight on 3pt increases traction on rear tires. Have to find a balance, too much weight can make front steering difficult.
Rear/front blade, or front/rear snowblower will affect the setup for the rest of the tractor.
Chains improve rear traction with all tires, but can mark asphalt. Different chains may have clearance issues with the fenders and contol linkages on the inside of the wheelwell, thus the use of spacers.
Weather:
The amount of snow you get at a time, just a couple inches, or a foot+
Is blowing snow an issue. Use of a blade it raises the side of the snowbank, drifting snow can fill it back in higher than the original snowfall.
Is Ice or snow more of an issue

If you post a picture of the driveway, it helps in any advice given, but no 2 peoples experience will be exactly the same. You have to find out what's right for you.