Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY
Don't know why you are baffled. I stated, it starts fine without it. If I was having trouble starting it, I could understand the confusion.

I'm baffled by why everyone thinks, because it's a diesel, it has to have a block heater to start. :confused3:

If you can buy a block heater for one of these for $35, everyone is going to want to know where. Because, MF substantially over charges for them.

Jacks, wants $141.55 for it, and they discount.

I think i paid 250 for mine installed or 200.

Do you use any additives for your diesek fuel? As for plugging it in its not like its hurting it and not having it plugged in doesnt either.

But in the winter i wont have to worry about killing my battery on long cranks. My tractor stays mostly outside in a shed, so if 20 degrees outside the block heater def helps not hinders.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #22  

Do you use any additives for your diesek fuel? As for plugging it in its not like its hurting it and not having it plugged in doesnt either.

But in the winter i wont have to worry about killing my battery on long cranks. My tractor stays mostly outside in a shed, so if 20 degrees outside the block heater def helps not hinders.

I was quoted 200 for one

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #23  
SteveM70, I've got everything I need to do the maintenance but as yet I haven't done the work on the tractor. Actually because of other issues unrelated to thevtractor . . I haven't used my little red friend since the lMarch snowfall..

Good deal. Better to know about the suction filter before, rather than after your first service. I thought I remembered a thread where you stated you had changed engine oil but not the rest of the 50 hour service yet.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #24  
If you can buy a block heater for one of these for $35, everyone is going to want to know where. Because, MF substantially over charges for them.

Jacks, wants $141.55 for it, and they discount.

Ray66v, I'm sure if I buy a tire or an engine for the tractor after I've bought the tractor . . That the engine or tire are much differently priced than buying it as part of the tractor.

I checked back on some of my quotes before responding and here is what I found:

I had some quotes where individual prices were not specified . . however on one kubota bx bid thevengine block heater would have been 50.00. On the Massey, one bid showed 35.00 and another showed 50.00.

But just like loading tires or getting a grill guard or buying a mmm deck or fel . . The prices will be less because their labor is all part of the prep work and the items are based on total sale profit.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #26  
Ray66v, I'm sure if I buy a tire or an engine for the tractor after I've bought the tractor . . That the engine or tire are much differently priced than buying it as part of the tractor.

I checked back on some of my quotes before responding and here is what I found:

I had some quotes where individual prices were not specified . . however on one kubota bx bid thevengine block heater would have been 50.00. On the Massey, one bid showed 35.00 and another showed 50.00.

But just like loading tires or getting a grill guard or buying a mmm deck or fel . . The prices will be less because their labor is all part of the prep work and the items are based on total sale profit.

The block heater is made, probably by Katz, for MF. Who ever makes it, doesn't sell it directly.

To my knowledge, it is not available anywhere, except through a MF dealer. And, the price is quadrupled by the time you buy it.

Yes, there are all kinds of $35 block heaters out there. But, none of them seem to fit a GC.

The heater barely protrudes from the part that it mounts in. And the block won't allow, for anything longer. So, it's an odd ball.

No one here, has been able to beat the over $100 price tag, except when they got the dealer to "throw it in", at the time they actually bought the tractor. Which of course, means they paid for it somewhere in there.

As I said, if you can tell everyone where they can get one for $35, I am sure many people here, will be very happy to hear that.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #27  

Yes, there is no doubt, it will start real nice, even for your mom, with the block heater.

Personally, I am more worried about the 4.5 gallons ice cold of hydraulic fluid, going through the pump.

And, so is MF; note the warm up times in the manual.

The only fuel additive I use, is Opti-lube XPD. Which adds some probably unneeded lubricant, for the injector pump.

I discovered where the farmers all buy their off road fuel locally. This company puts the additives in right there, before they sell it. They assured me, I would not have any trouble. And, I haven't ever had a fuel problem.

Never crank for a long time. If it doesn't start in 5-10 seconds, you will only kill the battery cranking it.

A battery tender, or trickle charger, is a good idea in the winter. I installed a plug for mine, so I don't have to open the hood.

One thing you can do, to find the right throttle setting when it's real cold, is slowly open the throttle while you crank. Then, note the setting where it fired. Use that setting, the next time, for that temp.