GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End

/ GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End #1  

hube2

Veteran Member
Tractor
Masey Ferguson GC1725M
Question for other CG owners. I have a GC1725M, but all the GCs should be similar.

I was out looking at the front end of my tractor for another reason and noticed something that I have not noticed before, had no real reason to look at it.

In any case this has to do with how the steering rod is seated into the tie rod end, you can see where these go together in this image

1628181494341.png

This is my right side (passenger side) and you can see that it seems to be fully seated in the tie rod end

right-reduced.jpg

This is the left side (driver's side) and there appears to be a gap

left-reduced.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this looks like on their tractor? Is this something that I need to worry about? Is this something that can be corrected? Does anyone know how?

Attachments

• 1628181524265.png
    1628181524265.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 64
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
   / GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End
It's hard to tell from this picture I got but it appears to be normal and the left/right sides of the rod are different

1628183264774.png

/ GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End #3  
If you're talking about the millimeter tall shoulder on one versus the other, I think when I got a replacement tie rod end for mine, I noticed the same thing. In fact, my replacement was completely painted the chassis gray color while the one I took off wasn't painted at all. I'll try and find some photos. Even with the differences, I noticed the shouldered unit measured the same end to end of ball joint distance as the other. It's been a couple years. Again, I'll try and find the pictures or take more.

/ GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End #4  
Scratch that. I don't have that difference on my left front. I'll have to get a better photo of the other side to see if it's like yours.
20190904_191444.jpg

/ GC 17XX Steering Ram Seating in Tie Rod End
What I mean is that the left (driver's side) seems to have a gap where a wrench can but used, you can see this on the closer end of the MFR photo I added. I'm pretty sure now that what I'm seeing is normal, but when I first notices the too sides were different for some reason I thought that the ram was not completely seated in the tie rod end. I can actually see what I'm talking about in your picture, you can see the nut like portion of the rod where it attaches the end. It is probably there to hold the ram from turning while you tighten the end onto it.