GC 2300 oil change

/ GC 2300 oil change #1  

bstnh1

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
Hey guys - I see a lot of talk on here about synthetic oils and diesel oil. The book for my GC 2300 calls for SAE 10W-30 motor oil for all temperature ranges in the engine. There's no mention of diesel oil for the engine. Does anyone use plain old 10w-30?

/ GC 2300 oil change #2  
I don't. I use Shell Rotella T 15-40, same as I use in my Cummins 5.9 litre.
I would do a little research into what makes oil for diesel motors different.
I would also phone your dealer to find out how much an engine is and weigh the options on using conventional oil.
My two cents.

/ GC 2300 oil change #3  
There are reasons why there is diesel specific oil.

Among other things, diesels produce sulfuric acid, and huge amounts of ash in the crankcase.

These will overwhelm conventional oils, long before diesel oils, which are formulated to deal with these in high levels.

Using a diesel specific oil, is one of many ways to buy additional protection for your investment.

/ GC 2300 oil change
Thanks for the info guys. I was a bit skeptical of using regular oil in a diesel engine even though that's what the book recommends. Didn't sound like the right thing to do. I'm gonna go with the Shell Rotella.

/ GC 2300 oil change #5  
Are you guys sure that 15w40 is not too thick for the cold weather starts. I would like to use this too, but am a little unsure of the long-term effects.:confused:

/ GC 2300 oil change #6  
Are you guys sure that 15w40 is not too thick for the cold weather starts. I would like to use this too, but am a little unsure of the long-term effects.:confused:

Don't ask me I'm using Amsoil.

They have:

5w30, 30w/10w30, 5w40, 15w40,

Take your pick. :thumbsup:

/ GC 2300 oil change #7  
It depends on how cold it gets. My primary use most years is snow blowing. Only put enough hours each year for 1 oil change. 0W40 or 5W40 syn makes for easy winter cranking. As the battery gets colder it loses cranking capacity. A 15W40 will be bear to start under 0 degrees.

/ GC 2300 oil change #8  
Thanks for the info guys. I was a bit skeptical of using regular oil in a diesel engine even though that's what the book recommends. Didn't sound like the right thing to do. I'm gonna go with the Shell Rotella.

My MF owners manual does list only diesel oil, and I bet yours does also, :thumbsup:. It took me a little research to figure it out, :confused:. The MF manual requirements state "API Service CC", which is diesel oil. API stands for the American Petroleum Institute, and CC stands for a diesel engine category (which by the way is obsolete). I hope this information helps you. I also started using the synthetic Amsoil 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (ACD) at my 50 hour service, and Amsoil's applications does list the obsolete CC category. I purchased my oil at my local Napa Auto Parts store, :D :D :D.

F.Y.I. when my warranty runs out, I might switch to the 5W-30 depending on how the tractor starts this winter with the synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30. :thumbsup: KC

/ GC 2300 oil change #9  
WalMart, in our area, carries Rotella in 5w-40, 10w-30 and 15w-40.

Blue, silver or white jugs. Take your pick.

/ GC 2300 oil change
My MF owners manual does list only diesel oil, and I bet yours does also, :thumbsup:. It took me a little research to figure it out, :confused:. The MF manual requirements state "API Service CC", which is diesel oil. API stands for the American Petroleum Institute, and CC stands for a diesel engine category (which by the way is obsolete). I hope this information helps you. I also started using the synthetic Amsoil 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (ACD) at my 50 hour service, and Amsoil's applications does list the obsolete CC category. I purchased my oil at my local Napa Auto Parts store, :D :D :D.

F.Y.I. when my warranty runs out, I might switch to the 5W-30 depending on how the tractor starts this winter with the synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30. :thumbsup: KC

Sure enough! Checked my book and it does specify "CC". I didn't realize "CC" was a diesel oil designation. The word "diesel" isn't mentioned anywhere in the specs on oil - just SAE. Interestingly enough, I bought a gallon jug of Rotella T 15-40 at a local auto parts store and no where on the jug does the word diesel appear. Thanks for enlightening me!!!! I'm going with the 15-40. I only use it once or twice during the winter to move stacked snow and I can pick and choose warmer days to do that. Most of my hours are in the warm weather so the 15-40 shouldn't cause a problem with starting.