GC 2300 wont start

/ GC 2300 wont start #21  
Wow, Eric, it sure has me scratching my head. If you're getting black smoke, as others have said, you're getting some fuel in there, too (and it's TRYING to burn). Also, ditto what others have said-- with mine, I most often don't need to open the throttle at all above idle…but I have --and use-- a block heater when it's cold.

Like yours, I also turn my key to the left (and hold) for glow plug operation, and often do so for just shy of a minute. If she doesn't start, I repeat the glow plug procedure and crank again; that usually does it. But bear in mind, I'm talking below zero here. When it's warmer, it doesn't need as much time on the glow plugs.

Please keep us posted as to your progress, and welcome to the forum!

irvingj

/ GC 2300 wont start
The GC 2300 is alive! I put the new fuel filter on this afternoon and she fired right up. Now it runs like a champ. Thank you all for your help!

/ GC 2300 wont start
Here is the picture of the starting instructions on my GC2300 to prove you guys that I wasn't lying or crazy :). As you can see it says to Place throttle at (full or mid position, whichever is best).

Attachments

• GC2300StartingInstructions.jpg
    GC2300StartingInstructions.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 147
   / GC 2300 wont start #24  
I would stay with 1/4 inch throttle when cold, and no throttle when warm out. But that's me.

/ GC 2300 wont start
I would stay with 1/4 inch throttle when cold, and no throttle when warm out. But that's me.

I just tried to start it with just a little throttle and it wouldn't start. I needed more than 1/2 throttle to get it running. If Massey is saying full or a little less to start it, why are you against what they say?

/ GC 2300 wont start #26  
Eric in your defense, I have also seen decals on different tractors that stated you move the throttle to 3/4 advancement to start the motor. I questioned it myself but I have seen many of them. I have not chimed in on your problem as I am not familiar at all with the GC model tractors. I have only seen one or two come through the shop in the last year and I never got the chance to work on them.

Do these models have mechanical lift pumps or electric pumps on them. IF I were to make a guess I would say mechanical only because of the throttle settings required to start the engine.

Glad you got it running man.

/ GC 2300 wont start #27  
I just tried to start it with just a little throttle and it wouldn't start. I needed more than 1/2 throttle to get it running. If Massey is saying full or a little less to start it, why are you against what they say?
I don't have a gc model, but the engine on my 1423 is pretty close to yours. And the instructions are the same as yours. Throttle at half to fully open to start. I don't use any throttle in the summer, an when the garage is hot in the summer, i don't have to warm up the glow plugs either.

/ GC 2300 wont start
Eric in your defense, I have also seen decals on different tractors that stated you move the throttle to 3/4 advancement to start the motor. I questioned it myself but I have seen many of them. I have not chimed in on your problem as I am not familiar at all with the GC model tractors. I have only seen one or two come through the shop in the last year and I never got the chance to work on them.

Do these models have mechanical lift pumps or electric pumps on them. IF I were to make a guess I would say mechanical only because of the throttle settings required to start the engine.

Glad you got it running man.

Thanks Massey, It seems that when it is warm, I can start it with zero throttle and don't have to use the glow plugs. I suspect that as it gets warmer I will have to use less throttle too. I'm not sure if it has a mechanical lift pump or not.

/ GC 2300 wont start
I just replaced my glow plugs and it now starts up perfect. All summer it was fine but recently it started getting cooler out and it wouldn't start again. I pulled the plugs and they all were dirty. One was even deformed at the bottom. As soon as I put new plugs in, the tractor starts perfectly. I should have done this last winter....

/ GC 2300 wont start #30  
You can clean glow plugs, and reinstall them. This is usually only necessary, when they have high hours.

However, once a glow plug starts to deform, you are right, it's time to replace it.

Glad you have it fixed.