GC 2400 Hard Starting

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #21  
I had to install a block heater in my GC. Starts like a champ now. I have the heater set on a timer for 3am to 6am daily...waiting for that big morning snow

Three hours is a long time for such a small engine block. How cold are you getting to? I find 1 hr at +15F was plenty for it to fire up easily and stay running. (I still had to use 45 seconds of glow plug and 1/4-1/3 throttle during cranking). You can probably save your self some money by cutting back on the timer use.:)

DEWFPO

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #22  
I'd agree; I find that one hour or less on the block heater is adequate to make starting pretty easy. If it's above zero, about a half hour seems plenty. (And yes, I still have to use a couple 30-second shots of glow power.):)

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #23  
I find a lot of people are not using the glow plugs when they think they are. There is not a light or other signs the glow plugs are in use.

Your tractor should start with the glow plugs. The key needs to be under spring tension almost to the start, but just before the engine turns over is when the glow plugs are working.

Glow once and if the tractor turns over more than three or four times then glow a second time and the tractor should fire up after two or three cranks.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #24  
I find a lot of people are not using the glow plugs when they think they are. There is not a light or other signs the glow plugs are in use.

QUOTE]

The MF scut and cut do have glow plug lights on the dash.:thumbsup:

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #25  
Does altitude have any effect on starting? I'm up at 4300'.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #26  
The MF scut and cut do have glow plug lights on the dash.:thumbsup:

First thing I did was add one. :thumbsup:

I didn't want to sit there holding the ignition on, waiting for glow plugs that weren't even on.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting #27  
Does altitude have any effect on starting? I'm up at 4300'.

You need a specific fuel to air mixture for the engine to start.

Temperature and altitude affect air density, so they do affect the ratio.

4300' air is thinner, but cold temperatures make it thicker. There is the possibility in your case, sometimes these could offset each other.

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting
Progress!!

My experience is 15 seconds is not nearly long enough for those conditions. The fact that it quit, would indicate that was the case. If it quits running, or runs very rough initially, you needed more glow plug time.

In that low a temperature, 30 seconds, or more, would likely be prudent. In time, as glow plugs get old and soot covered, these times may need to be extended even longer.

I have no idea why they suggest you crank the engine first? Simply turning on the ignition will energize the fuel pump, and "start the fuel flow". :confused:

If your moving the throttle, once you find the throttle position that it fires at, try just setting it there the next time.

That's what I was thinking, but I did exactly as my dealer did with a brand new 2400 on the lot. The only difference was that the one he started was sitting outside, covered with snow, and mine was in an unheated garage.(the dealer is only 13 miles away, this test was done the same day.........within 30 minutes of trying to start mine)

The new one fired up instantly(after 15 seconds on the glow plugs), and smoothed out after about 5 seconds.
Mine,(purchased last May), took three tries, holding the glow plugs in the on position, for 45 seconds to 1 minute or more(throttle smoothed out after about 20 seconds.

The "crank engine first" is because of the 'indirect fuel injection'. Takes a few turns to get fuel into the cylinders.

Last edited:
   / GC 2400 Hard Starting

Your tractor should start with the glow plugs. The key needs to be under spring tension almost to the start, but just before the engine turns over is when the glow plugs are working.

Glow once and if the tractor turns over more than three or four times then glow a second time and the tractor should fire up after two or three cranks.
On my 2400, the glow plug light comes on when the key is in the on position, but the glow plugs don't work until I turn the key..........almost to the 'start' position as you described.

But on mine, I did notice that after using the glow plugs, and trying to start.................if I turn the key off,(or just release the key)the glow plug light will stay off for a while.(that's why I'm thinking the glow plugs are on a timer, or a 'heat cut-off' switch).

/ GC 2400 Hard Starting
I should also add at this point............that when I tested the glow plugs...........they were hot enough to melt skin after being on for 1 second, then left to cool for 30 seconds while sitting on my log splitter.(I had removed them from the engine and tested independently).