GC Engine Oil Question

/ GC Engine Oil Question #1  

mgstevens

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2410 "Cliffy", JD R72 "Moe Greene"
I'm just over 100 hrs from the last oil change on this machine. When I got it, the previous owner said he'd just changed oil. Indeed it was brand-new oil.

Now it's my turn to change it. I see by the manual it wants 10W-30. Easy enough.

I then note that all the 10W-30 I see on the local shelves is "stamped" FOR GASOLINE ENGINES. Should this proud stamp on the label be of any concern for using this oil in our little ISEKI diesels?

Thx.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #2  
You need oil rated for diesel use. CJ, CK...rotella T5, T6, or a comparable oil. 5W40 would exceed the spec called for. Do not use gas oil.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #3  
CJ-4, in my manual it is in a box at the top of the page separate from where it says 10W30. I don't have any idea what the difference between CJ-4 and CJ is or any or the others that @RustyA listed, I just follow the manual.

I made the mistake of using gas engine oil in my for the 50 hour service, but I left it in there because it was the middle of the winter, it was 20 degrees outside and I new I would be changing the oil again in the spring because I plan to change my oil every spring. It was only in there for 20 hours and I actually didn't even realize my mistake until I read a post here about there being a difference and I looked into it some more, by that time winter was nearly over.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #4  
   / GC Engine Oil Question #5  
CJ is older spec, CK4 is latest spec, backwards compatible

/ GC Engine Oil Question #6  
CJ is older spec, CK4 is latest spec, backwards compatible
:) Thanks. As long as it says meets or exceeds "CJ-4" I'm good to go. Hopefully when they decide to stop printing that on the label and I forget this conversation there will be people here like you to tell me what to look for.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #7  
It may interest you to know that oil designated “S” is for spark ignition engines.
Oil labeled “C” is for compression ignition (Diesel) engines.
Or maybe you knew that already.🙄

Last edited:
   / GC Engine Oil Question #8  
Available at the local Canadian Tire. If you're in northern BC, may want to use 0W40. Other brands mentioned are good, but packaging for most is 5 liter jugs. Delvac has the least amount of waste IMO.

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 103
   / GC Engine Oil Question #9  
Got 0w30 M1 ESP from Advance Auto online for the last 2025R change. Plan to go to this in the Isuzu diesel generator driver next year. Had been using VW's Catrol 5w30 for its TDIs for the last 7 or 8 years because I had a VW TDI for nearly 7 years and then got VW $ and used it to buy more of the Castrol.

0w or 5w30 would meet the "10w30" requirement but do it better to provide more instant protection on startup. This was brought home to me when I had a VW Cabrio with hydraulic valve lifters that would drain down a bit on shutdown. Only a 0w30 stopped the pounding on startup (pounding occurs when there is an air space in the lifters). Should have gone to 0w20, which is what I use in the 3 gasoline engines now, but it and 5w20 wasn't around much then.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #10  
fwiw my dealer said massey recommends only using synthetic after the first 300 hours.
other dealers may say different, I just dealt with this 3 days ago when I did my 275 (due to when I got it and unknown last oil change my hours are not even 100's) hour change.