GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower?

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #1  

gojira

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD X590, MF GC1710
The title probably says it all. I have a GC1710 and was thinking about getting a mid-mount mower for it. I looked in my owner's manual and didn't see anything specific but do I have to remove the backhoe to use the mower? I'm thinking mostly the up-down movement of the mower with the 3-point system tied up with the backhoe on.

I might want to remove it and the FEL when I'm mowing but I like having options! :)

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #2  
I believe you can leave the mower on with the backhoe installed but there is no real value in it because as you stated you need to raise and lower the rocker arms to raise and lower the mower and the backhoe prevents you from lowering the rocker arms.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower?
I believe you can leave the mower on with the backhoe installed but there is no real value in it because as you stated you need to raise and lower the rocker arms to raise and lower the mower and the backhoe prevents you from lowering the rocker arms.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It'll give me the impetus to build a "rollaround" dolly for the backhoe so I can move things around in my "tractor shed" easier.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #4  
Different brand, but I can (and have) used the MMM with the BH on including raising and lowering the mower. I have full function of all three (FEL included) while on.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #5  
do know for sure on a GC1710, a GC1723, and a GC1725 you would have issues unless you choose to mow with deck all the way up always.
fel/backhoe off safer on hills too. plus you won't swing them into things like....some...of us have LOL

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower?
do know for sure on a GC1710, a GC1723, and a GC1725 you would have issues unless you choose to mow with deck all the way up always.
fel/backhoe off safer on hills too. plus you won't swing them into things like....some...of us have LOL

Most of my mowing is flat but there are a couple of hilly areas that could be much scarier with too much top weight, plus the backhoe pads do stick out a bit (I forgot that and hit my mailbox clearing some snow a couple of years ago!)

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #7  
Most of my mowing is flat but there are a couple of hilly areas that could be much scarier with too much top weight, plus the backhoe pads do stick out a bit (I forgot that and hit my mailbox clearing some snow a couple of years ago!)
I wont mention how my bucket almost hit wife car as I was turning blower away from same car.
nope.
not gonna mention it LOL

also won't mention I had to fix someones mailbox the other day...nope not gonna mention it.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #8  
I will ALWAYS remove my BH for most operations -- mowing, blowing, bucket loading/scraping, etc. Unless I plan to lift heavy stuff with the FEL, the BH is off. In actuality, the only time I put the BH on is when I plan to use it (and in that case, the FEL always goes on, too.)

Not sure about the set-up with newer GCs, but on mine, I can drop the BH in about 8 minutes; putting it back on varies, depending on how close I get lined up the first time, but extension hoses on the 3 lines really helps, as I can be connected to the BH while still 2 feet away from it.

With the hydraulic extensions (which I leave on the BH), I can easily drop it to the ground -- a firm spot/stump/concrete pad-- and retract the stabilizers all the way for storage, then a small tarp (I use an old shower curtain) for a cover. I suggest you practice doing that, it does get easier with repetition-- and with the BH off the tractor is just much easier to maneuver and control.

PS: If you DO leave the BH on for mowing, I believe you still have to disconnect the hydraulic lines to it and connect the two recirculating lines (just as if the BH were removed) in order for the 3PH/MMM to raise & lower.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #9  
yeah you do have to do that connection, which gives you about 3 inches movement on mower deck. tying up the rear 3pt arms prevents them from lowering much, which restricts the left side lift link from moving the mid mount lift arms.
and on a brand new GC1725TLB with mower, if you run mower with backhoe on dealers here will mess you up on warranty stuff.

/ GC1700 Can backhoe can stay on with mid-mount mower? #10  
Well the 3ph lift arms need to lower when the mmm deck does (but not vise versa, btw), but I'm not sure if the gap back there where the the hoe mounts would allow it. Maybe. In any case, why would you want to leave it on anyways? The GC is not the most comfy mower as is, but having even the loader on makes it less so....couldn't even imagine leaving the backhoe on would improve it. Not to mention how much soil compaction you're doing there to your lawn with all that weight mounted.

I dunno which deck you're considering, but the 60" drive-over one is close to $3k...and it won't even accept a mulching kit, nor will it take any other mowing blades (hi-lifts, gators, etc) besides the stock ones. I like to cut my grass on the tall side during the summer, but these stock blades just don't stand the grass up to my liking at that height, so it doesn't leave the nicest cut. $3k would buy you a very nice garden tractor that would accept a mulch kit for fall leaf cleanup, various blades, etc.

Its one saving grace is that it will chew through anything w/o bogging. Now that I have a zero turn stander mower, I plan to use the GC's deck as a brush hog (if I don't sell it).