GC1700 Series Questions ....

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #1  

User Name

Tractor
GC 1700 Series
I tried asking these questions but failed in my grammer. Let me ask again in a hopefully more clear way.

Thinking of getting a MF1700 series tractor. Here are some questions I would I like answered:

1) I heared GC has some benefits on hills and hillsides compared to other tractor lines. What are the benifits?

2) I heard Massey has unique accessories for the GC that others don't. What are they?

3) I heard Massey has great insurance compared to the competitors. What makes it so great?

THANKS!

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #2  
I tried asking these questions but failed in my grammer. Let me ask again in a hopefully more clear way.

Thinking of getting a MF1700 series tractor. Here are some questions I would I like answered:

1) I heared GC has some benefits on hills and hillsides compared to other tractor lines. What are the benifits?

I cant answer that because I did not compare I dont have hills. We do have an airport near my house and they have a GC tractor that mows very steep hills no problem.

2) I heard Massey has unique accessories for the GC that others don't. What are they?

Not sure-but when I test drive it had beefier frame than John Deer, Mahindra, Kubota, New Holland and Cub Cadet. At the time it had a bigger backhoe bucket and beefier stabilizer arms with padded feet on one side and clamp on another. Dont know about todays...

3) I heard Massey has great insurance compared to the competitors. What makes it so great?

Insurance was great because it was part of the finance option. Never had to use it so cant help there.

THANKS!

Her are my replies....sorry couldn't help much.

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #3  

THANKS!

1. I would say there is no significant difference in slope performance between any similar sized tractor, most will compare to the Kubota BX and JD 1000 series.

2. I would saw no again...most other crd will actually have move available accessories. I think Kubota leads the way there with their partnership/ownership of Land Pride....JD is probably next.....Massey probably has less factory options or purpose built attachments.

3. Haven't researched insurance difference with competitors, also can't help there.

All that said, I still chose Massey, twice! The Kubota was runner up, but I preferred the ergonomics of the Massey.

/ GC1700 Series Questions ....
1. I would say there is no significant difference in slope performance between any similar sized tractor, most will compare to the Kubota BX and JD 1000 series.

2. I would saw no again...most other crd will actually have move available accessories. I think Kubota leads the way there with their partnership/ownership of Land Pride....JD is probably next.....Massey probably has less factory options or purpose built attachments.

3. Haven't researched insurance difference with competitors, also can't help there.

All that said, I still chose Massey, twice! The Kubota was runner up, but I preferred the ergonomics of the Massey.

THANKS for your input!

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #5  

Can't help you with the other questions but as for number two, about four years ago Massey-Ferguson (AGCO) entered into an agreement with Woods Equipment. Woods has an extensive line of implements for compact and subcompact tractors. Not unique perhaps but if you finance through Massey Ferguson/AGCO, you'll be able to finance the implements through the same contract and if it really matters, their color will match the tractor.

Can't help you with the other questions but as for number two, about four years ago Massey-Ferguson (AGCO) entered into an agreement with Woods Equipment. Woods has an extensive line of implements for compact and subcompact tractors. Not unique perhaps but if you finance through Massey Ferguson/AGCO, you'll be able to finance the implements through the same contract and if it really matters, their color will match the tractor.

Thanks jc21 !

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #7  
I'm not sure if you can look at the Massey tractors next to the competition or not. But if you can that might be helpful. You might see things that otherwise tend to get overlooked. Such as the massey GC tractor has two hydraulic rams for the bucket, one on each side. The Kubota BX only has one in the center. I tend to think the Massey approach might be stronger and more stable, but the Kubota owners dispute that. And they might point out that there are two rams to fail, not just one.

But if you can comparison shop in person you pick up little things like this. Good luck with your choice!!

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #8  

THANKS!

Greetings New User,

I have a Massey GC1715 that I use frequently on hillsides and steep slopes. I often am cutting lawn on those slopes and sidehills. Originally before I bought the Massey I test drove the smallest scut I could find (Kubota BX 1870) and compared it to the GC1715 for turning circle radius and hillside handling. The GC1715 was within 9 inches of the smaller BX for tight turning. I then used the exact same GC and the BX to go up and down or sideways on a steeper hill and sidehill, and to be honest, although I liked the BX, I felt more secure on the GC than I did on the BX even though the GC was bigger and heavier. It was all about the center of gravity between the two.

And for me - the 2 pedals for forward and reverse were much easier on my right knee than was the treadle pedal on the BX.

As far as accessories for the Massey GC1700's, there was a single unique accessory massey product I really liked - the dedicated mulching mid mount mower deck. For me - it was an important choice because I wanted to do mulching - but also because it allowed for a narrower space or path requirement because it didn't have any right or left side grass chute (a savings of 11 inches in clearance required). I could cut 54 inches wide - but only needed 55 1/2 inches in width to do it. Regarding other accessories - I don't know that the GC1700 have any other unique choices. I do know that if you get accessories from other 3rd party manufacturers of quick attach or quick hitch units - that will significantly add to your accessories choices whether the 3rd party products are used on Kubtoa BX of Massey GC or Kioti or JD etc. etc.. In addition any of the normal 3pt accessories that fit the other scut brands will also fit the Massey.

I do know that the Massey AGCO insurance - which I have - is quite a deal. I paid less than $300 for an entire 5 year's coverage and it covers quite a number of things my homeowners coverage does not - and even covers several things that a $260 a year additional rider policy on my homeowner's insurance would not cover - and the deductibles were good.

Of particular issue for me also - was the Iseki reputation for quality is high in both engine and in building the tractor itself. Yanmar, Kubota, and Iseki are some of the oldest and most reliability rated engine makers for the scut catergory as well as their engines being used in many other manufacturer's engine the last 3 decades or more. But each of those 3 builds the tractors their engines goes in for the scut category.

And all three engine makers did somethig that others don't in their scuts - FRONT FLOW of the engines. Its a bigger deal than some realize because it keeps the engine cleaner as well as the driver because it takes air from the cockpit area and pushes it to the front and "out" - so dust and dirt and hot air is out of the cockpit area.

Last thing - is the lifting capacity of the the front end loader. The numbers don't lie and if you compare them for the DL95 compared to other brands - you'll see a fair difference between them.

Your profile indicates you are both SouthEast and NorthEast Wisconsin. If you really want to compare Massey GC1700s and Kubotas on a face to face basis or you want great service and very competitive pricing - stop at Sauk City in south Central Wisconsin - they have all models of each indoors with hours at night and weekends - I doubt you'll see a larger dealer location anywhere where else in Wisconsin for those brands and several other outdoor equipment brands. Dealer name is Mc Farlane's. They also have a large manufacturing operation as well.

Last edited:
Greetings New User,

I have a Massey GC1715 that I use frequently on hillsides and steep slopes. .............

Your profile indicates you are both SouthEast and NorthEast Wisconsin. If you really want to compare Massey GC1700s and Kubotas on a face to face basis or you want great service and very competitive pricing - stop at Sauk City in south Central Wisconsin - they have all models of each indoors with hours at night and weekends - I doubt you'll see a larger dealer location anywhere where else in Wisconsin for those brands and several other outdoor equipment brands. Dealer name is Mc Farlane's. They also have a large manufacturing operation as well.

Hi AxeHub, Thanks for answering all my questions. I believe it might have been an earlier post by you that brought up my questions. I'm 99.9% convinced ot is the MF GC1720 that I'll be ordering soon. I already have green light from the wife but just checking out some details before ordering one. I say that because I'm thinking what options I'll want right away dealer installed (thumb, block heater, bucket hooks, tire types, etc.).

Done with researching the tractor model types part. The finalist I thought would be the Kioti. Looked good for the price but MF came up from behind after I found stats showing a much better power to hp ratio with the FEL and BH. Price also was huge as they really aren't sky high like the green and yellow (Packer colors!) and the orange Kuobota's. I do like the orange the best but I'm not spending thousand for a color! (I will throw in that I'm shallow enough to say there is now way I could see buying a baby blue one! That color is just yuck!)

Lots to think about and research. I have NO EXPERIENCE at all and much to learn. Big investment on this (think attachments too) and I don't like making expensive mistakes. Right now I'm doing a ton of research on snowblowers (front, rear, pull behind, etc.). I'm not in need of a blower for at least three years out but want to pre-plan for the day I dish out for that. NOT HAPPY seeing the prices of front end blowers. I have bad back and not thinking rear blower would be fun either. On the other hand ... I'm not loaded with extra $$$ laying around. So much to think and dwell over! Not understanding hook-ups and hydraulics doesn't help.

I've stopped by four dealers and checked out there lots over the weekend. All were closed. Not one had a GC1710 or GC1720 on their lots! I see McFarlane's website is listing they have both in stock. Not close - 96 miles away - it might be worth a trip to get some "stupid questions" answered. Yes, I have some real stupid ones! Like I said .... no experience. I actually looked up "Tractors For Dummies" and, even though their are some threads here titled with it, there is no actual book.

Where do I buy is the last step I'll be going through. This tractor will be used in my N/E Wisconsin place. I plan on retiring up there in 3 years. The closes MF dealer is 75 miles away from my place up there. McFarlane's is 235 miles away! I'm more of a price shopper and not as worried about dealer. So far away, I'm screwed either way. I'm actually contemplating using Bruno's Powesports (Arkansas). It'll come down to price in the end. I find in interesting that Bruno's claims best price and would be willing to deliver it to me in northern Wisconsin 919 miles away!

Thanks again for your responses.

/ GC1700 Series Questions .... #10  
User Name,

I don't know the specifics of each of your locations - so I was a little confused that you'd be using the new unit at your N.E. WI future retirement location - but you won't need the snowblower for 3 more years - so I'll just assume that means you don't go up to the N.E. location in the winter months - so that leaves the fair weather months for the next 3 years. I then assume the S.E. WI location won't have the benefit or use of the unit ??? A new scut would sure motivate me to be in the N.E. location often during the fair weather then LOL.

Just a couple thoughts for your consideration. Given your description above - I'd very definitely go to Mc Farlanes then because you mentioned several key factors.

1. You liked the Kubota BX product as well as the Massey products - Mc Farlanes sells BOTH - complete lines of each in sub compact and compact sizing.

2. Everything is inside - so regardless of weather or daylight conditions - you can see and touch and measure and sit on plenty of machines.

3. Can you demo equipment there ? Yes

4. Can you get a better idea of price comparisons between the two brands ? Yes - because they use their same profit expectations on either brand because they are selling both. And they will be quite competitive in pricing I would believe.

5. Bruno's in Arkansas. They may be a fine dealer for price - because you don't pay sales tax - but then you're supposed to pay Use Tax to the State of WI. And while many claim "no hurt, no foul" - if you would end up with an audit and you haven't paid use tax on such a sizable item - there is a hefty penalty. Just saying.

6. Because you have no experience to date, I'd think having a little direct comparison would be helpful - where two brands are sitting 30 feet apart in exact same conditions. I'm not saying Mc Farlane's should be your dealer - I'm saying that to my knowledge - you won't see a larger dealer operation in WI or surrounding areas. So the experience alone can give you some schooling - where you can be there for hours looking and touching without being pressured. You'll also see a large selection of lawn mowers and equipment as well as chain saws and etc. etc. etc.. I took my wife when I went - and she spent quite some time looking at the hardware store products and decorating items and clothing - and then she sat on tractors to give me opinions too. We made it an event - because I knew I'd be looking at the details. The building including the service department covers half a large city block - and then there is the parking lot and then there is the used equipment out back and then a bunch of display equipment outside as well. I'm not bragging about the dealer - just stating facts. A friend thought I was "stretching it" when I told him the service department is the size of a football field - until he saw it :)

7. Another issue is optional implements or "non-manufacturer 3rd party" implement makers. There is a really nice one in Wisconsin called MyTractorTools.Com and they are located in the Nelsonville WI area. They have a considerable selection of bucket choices and 4 or 5 grapple choices for subcompact tractors in addition to numerous quick attach and quick hitch options. I got my quick attach for my bucket there - and also a set of forks which I use often. And soon a grapple.

8. Last point. Pricing - every month on equipment - the price changes (rebate conditions or financing conditions etc..). Those "new month" deals aren't known by the dealers until the 1st or 2nd of the month for the new month.