GC1710 TLB Front and Back Wheel Weights

/ GC1710 TLB Front and Back Wheel Weights #1  

jmainel1

Tractor
2012 Massey Ferguson GC1710TLB
I have had both valve stems fall out of the front tires on my GC1710 TLB. The tires are very ridged, and actually ran one of them for who knows how long with no air, even with weighted bucket. I only noticed because the tire was separating from the bead as I drove. I eventually found a tire dealer with a machine that could replace the stem and re-mount the tire. Now I gotta do the same with the other one. But they don't do ballast. Anyone use wheel weights on the front (or back)? I have noticed since this problem, the front seems very tippy with the backhoe on. I keep my tractor in my garage and even though we have been having REALLY NICE WARM weather (60 degrees today in upstate NY!!!) I see seepage from the rear tires. Any thoughts on replacing the liquid ballast with rim weights?

/ GC1710 TLB Front and Back Wheel Weights #2  
I have my front and rear R4's filled with RV washer fluid. I figure it adds about 150-170 lbs. rear and about 50-70 lbs in the front per each pair about 80% filled. Not a issue thus far. But I do not have many hours on the unit. Added weight to to the lowest center of gravity great for loader / backhoe work as well as unsprung weight vs sprung weight with a ballast or wheel weight. I have about 2 acres of lawn to demo, fill, level with box blade and dig up stumps so great for those jobs the extra bit of weight. Figure machine 1710/1720 is 2670 lbs add in 200+ lbs of ballast and operator 200+ for 3000+ lbs of machine.

/ GC1710 TLB Front and Back Wheel Weights #3  
I have had both valve stems fall out of the front tires on my GC1710 TLB. The tires are very ridged, and actually ran one of them for who knows how long with no air, even with weighted bucket. I only noticed because the tire was separating from the bead as I drove. I eventually found a tire dealer with a machine that could replace the stem and re-mount the tire. Now I gotta do the same with the other one. But they don't do ballast. Anyone use wheel weights on the front (or back)? I have noticed since this problem, the front seems very tippy with the backhoe on. I keep my tractor in my garage and even though we have been having REALLY NICE WARM weather (60 degrees today in upstate NY!!!) I see seepage from the rear tires. Any thoughts on replacing the liquid ballast with rim weights?

Jmainel,

Pardon me if I assume the wrong perspective . . but it seems you're asking the wrong questions.

I don't know how many hours you have on your tractor or how you use it but something seems amiss.

You lost 2 valve stems (one for each front tire) ?? Thats a rather considerable issue it would seem. And you were running on flat tires ???? New tractors shouldn't have that happen. Did you have the front tires loaded by a dealer or after purchase ??? Did the whole rubber stem come out . . or just the internal air stem inserts ?

You mentioned your rears are now showing leakage. To be clear . . good tires properly mounted hold air or liquid without leaking. Your situation implies either the stem inserts were taken out to load tires and never properly tightened back in at completion . . . Allowing them to loosen and leak eventually falling out. Or your tires are overfilled with liquid, or you have too little or too much air pressure.

Assuming you have recommended tire air pressures . . this should be an easy fix so you don't need tire weights. But more importantly and more to the point . . If your tires are leaking fluid . . They will also leak air.

And its hard to imagine that you could notice much difference if your fronts had been loaded and now aren't as it is only 30 or so pounds per front tire.

However . . if you were using your tractor on very low tire presdures in front and now have proper pressures . . . you might notice the steering is a great deal easier than prior.