Oil & Fuel GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid

/ GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #61  
Amsoil synthetic in mine.

/ GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #62  
Help the man out by saying what exactly you have in your tractor (same tractor?), not just oil brand….

Last edited:
   / GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #63  
Mowed with old fluid back in tractor for 3 hrs. this weekend worked just fine so it looks like fluid is the problem guess time will tell.
Question what fluid you guys running in your MF tractors I will have to change it sometime.
After all this you’re asking us what fluid to use? You need to check with your MF dealer or your Owners Manual for the correct specs. Once you know that you can shop around if you want to. You’ve already messed up the first time, no need to mess up again… However, I’m thinking that you installed hydraulic fluid in your HST tractor, when you should have installed Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic fluid? Let us know…

Last edited:
   / GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #65  
MF recommends Permatrans 821XL for the GC 17XX series tractor..... The thing is if you do research there is maybe 50 brands of hydraulic fluid out there with same specifications.... Only thing I really can vouch for it is a 10w30 weight semi synthetic fluid.... You may want to do research from there... You will notice somewhere down the pages (page 34) of attached file there is a list of all the available fluids Permatrans 821XL can replace, so it would seem that anyone of these brands would be quite acceptable.... Think main thing is to be sure any oil used in the GC 17xx series is a API GL4 rated fluid...

If you are using a house brand fluid from a discount auto parts you might want to read label real close to be sure you are getting desired product....

Attachments

• lubricants-and-oils-reference-guide-ref-ere-nce-g.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
   / GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #66  
I use what is recommended. Would really like to know exactly what you put in yours if the fluid is the cause.

/ GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #67  
Like I asked above. Did he install hydraulic fluid….or Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic fluid? They’re NOT the same. Also why I asked GeneV what he installed in his. He installed the correct oil, not so sure about the OP.

/ GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #68  
might seem obvious, but are you sure the micron rating on the existing filter matches the specs for the tractor hydraulics?
a 10 micron filter on a spec 25 micron machine (just as an example) could present restriction flow, etc. just a thought

/ GC1715 Blowing hydraulic fluid #69  
Permatran 821XL SEMI SYNTHETIC
The old didn,t say semi synthetic on can
So using the manufacturer recommended fluid, and all the MF dealer can do is tell you to run it at lower rpms?

My opinion only, so take it for what it's worth, just some guy on the internet. I wouldn't touch any MF/Agco branded fluid in my GC2300, even if it was free (I had my own issues at the beginning of ownership).It only takes 2.9 US gallons, saving $50 is not worth it. It saves less than 2 cents a day over 5 years. They are usually a decade or more behind in their fluids. Fine if your tractor needs 5 gallon pails or 55 gallon drums, just not in a SCUT.
I've used Petro-Canada Duratran Synthetic for most of my tractors life ( and currently). The only other oil that comes close to its specs is Amsoil.