GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #21  
I don't really see what the issue is here. You say that you pointed out a tractor in a crate and said you wanted that particular one. That particular tractor may have been a previous production run model (eg: older serial numbering) that had just sat in a warehouse and never been put together or something like that.

Since you picked out a particular tractor and said that you would buy it for X dollars, I don't really see where the sticking point is: the dealer gave you what you wanted.

You say that your inexperience may have been taken advantage of but the difference between the two models are quite obvious and you should not have paid for a tractor that did not have all the features you wanted.
Sorry, but I need to take the dealer's side on this one.

A

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #22  
I have to agree with Weesa20, what is the big deal?? If you knew the tach etc, was a recent addition to the GC2300, didn't you look at the one you picked out to see if the tach etc., was present??
Tractors do not come with titles as automobiles, my GC was bought this past February, may have been a 2003 model- so what-- it was NEW and had a NEW warranty, sold as a 2005, I am happy, GRReat tractor!!

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model
The issue is that instead of giving me the tractor I told them I wanted, they gave me the tractor that had been sitting on the lot for 10 months.

The tractor that was in the crate, which I did not inspect had been moved inside the shop for assembly. The issue is that I was told that I was buying a 2005 year model tractor and what they gave me was a 2004 year model. Regardless of the features, which are standard equipment on the 2005 year model and regardless of the sale price, which was $500 lower than than their nearest competitor, it's illegal in this state to make such misrepresentations.

The dealer had no brochures on the GC2300 when I went shopping, so I took them at their word that I was getting a 2005 year model.

It wasn't until after I brought the tractor home, and after I started reading posts on TBN, that I suspected something wasn't right.

Upon visiting the MF web site did I discover the difference.

In any case, the dealer, who is a neophyte in the tractor business also, has acknowledged that a wrong was "unintentionally" done and is in the process of making it right.

Actually, I feel the real culpret in this case is the salesman
who has been in the business for 15 years.

Thanks for your response.
CarlGlas

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #24  
If the tractor was new when you took delivery, it is a 2005. The options and standard equipment may have changed during the year. Both tractors that you have spoken about can be and are 2005 models. Just because the equipment changed on that model during the year doesn't mean that the year model changed. Tractors and cars are not the same.

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #25  
<font color="blue"> when they receive my Demand Letter </font>
If you plan on doing that, you better come up with a different angle that the one that you are using here. What has been explained here is industry standard for farm equipment. Every industry is different. When someone starts doing business in a different area than they are use to, they have a lot to learn.
This is the last post that I will make on this thread.

Jerry, I thank you for your responses, but apparently you haven't been completely reading what I have posted,
especially the posts of 12/02.

While I am not questioning your qualifications to speak on the subject of tractors, specifically Massey Ferguson, production model and year model, which by the way ARE two different things, I do know my qualifications with Texas law, both
criminal and civil.

You can not represent that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade, or that the goods are of a particular style or model, if they are of another.

Texas Business & Commerce Code
Chapter 17. Deceptive Trade Practices,
§§ 17.01 et seq.

http://www.smallurls.com/agd1b

Thanks
CarlGlas

"Some people refuse to be educated"

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #27  
The production date of a machine can be determined by the first letters in the serial#. J='00, K='01, L='02, M='03, N='04, They skipped O and went to P but changed the format of the letters. J(P)A P='05. To further answer questions posted manufacturers of tractors may make changes to a production run during the year. That is why it may be inportant to know your serial# when purchsing parts.

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #28  
he could have told you about the upgraded version before you bought but saw an opertunity to clear out the old.... although you got what you paid for, im sure the upgrade would be quite a bit more.

Update: It has been 18 years since I bought my GC2300 and I have gotten over the initial issue and learned a little more about tractors. The tractor I have hasn't failed me once over the years, although I now have to replace the seals in the steering cylinder, I also need to replace the V belt. Removing the steering cylinder was a task. The most time-consuming part of that was disconnecting the hydraulic lines at the steering wheel so I could pull the cylinder down to get to the fittings. Routing them back through the undercarriage and back up to the steering wheel should be fun as will be replacing the V belt. If you have done either of these things yourself then you know what I am talking about. ; )

/ GC2300 - How To Determine Year Model #30  
Well, did you get the newer tractor from the crate?
I have learned, if I test drive/inspect a car, I write down the VIN, and check the paperwork against my note. It irks 'em bad, but I know it's right.