GC2310 starting concern

/ GC2310 starting concern #11  
I learned that a hot plug for your engine block, trickle charger and clean fuel are your best friends when starting these in cold weather, hey do NOT like the cold at all. I also learned that the engine needs to crank at a certain rpm before it will start. Too slow a crank and I could be sitting there until worlds end to get it started. Need a rr rr rr rr vroom not a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sorry-I know Im gonna get some eyes rolling on that description:)

/ GC2310 starting concern
I learned that a hot plug for your engine block, trickle charger and clean fuel are your best friends when starting these in cold weather, hey do NOT like the cold at all. I also learned that the engine needs to crank at a certain rpm before it will start. Too slow a crank and I could be sitting there until worlds end to get it started. Need a rr rr rr rr vroom not a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sorry-I know Im gonna get some eyes rolling on that description:)

Yup, my experience as well. I find in cold temps that I need to jump it with my car.

/ GC2310 starting concern #13  
Mine also gives me a heck of a time starting when temp fall below 20 degrees. I do keep a battery tender on it and have found giving it a little throttle over idle seems to work well as long as the glow plugs are heated for several minutes and it sometimes takes several cycles of glow plugs until it fires right up.

/ GC2310 starting concern #14  
When it's cold, the air is denser. Opening the throttle, adds more fuel to compensate for that. There is no question you have to do that at some point.

You have to get creative, and find the combination that works for you. Doing the same things that didn't work last time, is a sure way to a dead battery, and a lot of frustration.

Really cold, air cooled aircraft engines, can be tricky too. Not everyone is good at starting them.

/ GC2310 starting concern
I believe I found the problem, I believe it was a weak starter. Diesels fire on compression,, my guess was that as the piston was building compression that the speed of the starter slowed down, minimizing the compression. I bought a new starter for $250, and it has been starting on the first try ever since. Sorry for the late post to let everyone know how it went. Thanks for the help!

/ GC2310 starting concern #16  
Hope that continues to work out.

/ GC2310 starting concern #17  
Thanks for the update! Can't say I've heard of a "weak starter" before, but that could certainly do it.

On mine, when I replaced the weak/broken ground cable --and added a second one for insurance-- it cranked MUCH faster than it had been, which made it far quicker to start. Still running on the original battery.