GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #11  
Yes, you do want to run the tractor for a significant amount of time in bitter cold temps, to warm the 4.5 gallons of oil in the transmission.

To help with this, I use synthetic oil, even in the trans, and have installed a glue on heating pad on the bottom of the axle, OIL PAN HEATER KITS - JCWhitney, which is always on in cold weather.

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #12  
I use synthetic oil, even in the trans, and have installed a glue on heating pad on the bottom of the axle, OIL PAN HEATER KITS - JCWhitney, which is always on in cold weather.

I need to change my hydraulic (and engine) oil. What are the full names of they syntheic hydraulic oil and synthetic engine oil that you use?

I assume that you are using their larger glue-on heating pad. Is there any concern that you might accidently scrap it off, or is it stuck on that securely?

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #13  
I need to change my hydraulic (and engine) oil. What are the full names of they syntheic hydraulic oil and synthetic engine oil that you use?

I assume that you are using their larger glue-on heating pad. Is there any concern that you might accidently scrap it off, or is it stuck on that securely?

I used Amsoil HDD Heavy Duty 5W30 Diesel Oil in the engine and Amsoil ATH 5W30 Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil in hydro system. According to the Amsoil tech these are the correct Amsoil Synthetics for the 2300.

Northern Tool also has the stick on Silicon heating pads.

DEWFPO

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #14  
F.Y.I. , I ordered this tractor with a freeze type block heater and the MF dealer installed this magnetic type oil pan heater. I questioned him about why I didn't receive the type of heater that I ordered and he told me that "the freeze plug type heater would not fit".

Thanks, KC

KC, I also requested a block heater at the time of purchase. I thought the price he quoted was quite reasonable. Turns out, it was too reasonable. I also got a tractor delivered with simple 200 watt magnetic heater stuck on the engine mounting flange. Ugh.

Now it is the middle of winter and I don't feel like disabling my tractor nor even working on it. So, I just stopped by TSC and bought the identical magnetic heater for $29.

Now, I have one on either side of the engine. They do OK, but take 4 hours to do much good. I'll struggle through this winter as is.

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #15  
I have a GC2400 and it's in a garage that never falls below 40 degrees and it still requires about 30 seconds of glow plugs for it to start without cranking too much. I think the Iseki engine is just really "cold blooded".

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #16  
My 2300 is in a basement, unheated, @ 20degrees or less, 1/3 throttle, glow plugs for 10 seconds, fires right up, using 15w-40 oil, whatever Big R or Murdoch's hydraulic oil house brand is, warm up for 3-4 minutes and go, have 493hrs @ 10,000ft elevation-no problems.

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #17  
My 2300 is in a basement, unheated, @ 20degrees or less, 1/3 throttle, glow plugs for 10 seconds, fires right up, using 15w-40 oil, whatever Big R or Murdoch's hydraulic oil house brand is, warm up for 3-4 minutes and go, have 493hrs @ 10,000ft elevation-no problems.

Just curious, why 15W40 in such a cold climate? I assume it's dino as well?

DEWFPO

Last edited:
   / GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #18  

The smaller one fits nicely on the bottom. No It has not been scraped, but I don't go running through the woods.

I used Amsoil HDD Heavy Duty 5W30 Diesel Oil in the engine and Amsoil ATH 5W30 Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil in hydro system.
DEWFPO

Same here.

It was 17 degrees F this morning, and my tractor had not run in about 6 weeks. 30 seconds of glow, 1/4 throttle, and it fired up like it was summer.

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #19  

I had the same issue with water in the Permatran. I switched to Duratran synthetic. Only problem getting it is that it is only available in 20L pails (AFAIK) from Petro-Canada lubricant distributors. The Kubota SuperUDT is a very similar fluid, and available from any Kubota dealer, but not sure of the price.
I used the Esso SD-3 Extra 0W-40 from Walmart until I couldn't find it last fall. Switched to Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. I have noticed it is a little slower cranking in the cold. The Esso oil was great, used it in all my small engines.
I have no experience with the Amsoil products as they have only become available locally at Canadian Tire recently. But wouldn't hesitate to use them.

/ GC2410 Coldest Weather Starting problem #20  
DEWFPO--
15w40 Rotella was all they had in stock, works for me, will be using same in my 83 Eagle when roadworthy, using Mobil 1 10w and 5w30 in rest of vehicles (if they don't leak)!