GC2410 Glow Plugs

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #1  

rjmack

Platinum Member
Tractor
GC2410
Does anyone know if I can get a hotter than stock glow plug to fit on this engine?

sick and tired of hard start even in summer.

btw, also looking for an aftermarket block heater that will work. bad cord fried mine, buying from dealer will cost $235.00

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #2  
Don't know about the glow plugs, but my tractor was becoming increasingly hard to start until I replaced that %@# ground cable. (I know, I always rant about it, but it slowly breaks the strands and can cause a lot of hard starting issues!) Have you checked it --closely-- to see if it's still 100% intact?

Once I put in a new one, the tractor started like it did when it was brand new --and had a new battery as well! It made such a difference, in fact, that I added a second ground cable on the other side of the engine for insurance. (Still running on my original battery on a 2005 tractor, BTW.)

Not only does a weak ground cable make the starter turn more slowly, it apparently also reduces volts & amps to the glow plugs, requiring more frequent and longer-duration GP application-- at least that's how it seemed to work with my tractor.

As far as the block heater, I know the M-F version is way overpriced, but it does fit beautifully and works very well. I was in pain over the price when I bought it, but every time I use it now I'm glad I did. Two years down the road you probably won't think about the cost, just how well it works. ijk

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #3  
Your tractor should start fairly easily in the summer, with no glow plugs.

You could try pulling a glow plug, and see if it is carbon-ed up. If they are covered with carbon, cleaning them and reinstalling them, will help.

Make sure the ground strap is sound, like Irving said.

You could also have the battery load tested, assuming you don't have the equipment to do so.

Have you changed the fuel filter? Low fuel pressure could be a possibility.

There has to be an underlying problem somewhere.

Good luck with the aftermarket block heater. Unless you have a machine shop, or someone who can machine things for you, I don't know of any way to get one in there. But, I sure would like to know of one.

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #4  
I just checked on a block heater for my GC2400 and it was only $160.

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs
As far as the block heater, I know the M-F version is way overpriced, but it does fit beautifully and works very well. I was in pain over the price when I bought it, but every time I use it now I'm glad I did. Two years down the road you probably won't think about the cost, just how well it works. ijk

Dealer I bought it from installed block heater n/c :thumbsup:

There has to be an underlying problem somewhere.

whatever it is, it's been there from brand new, day 1... it's just a lot worse since the runaway :eek:. I do have current to the buss bar, but am sure there is no preheat going on. I rented a john deere excavator last fall and that thing started so good it was embarrassing.

I just checked on a block heater for my GC2400 and it was only $160.

local dealer gave me 'special' price when I went to buy the machine so I bought it in Alberta and saved a bunch of $

now whenever I go there, I get 'real special' price. $210.34 + 12% hst :rolleyes:

just paid about $250.00 for an injector.

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #6  
Here's what I did with my 1010.

Pull the glow plugs.
Test each plug with a battery charger. See how long it takes to start glowing....mine do nothing for 10 seconds, then glow orange.

I put each plug on the tongue of my trailer, grounding the threads to good metal. Clipped the negative cable from the charger to the trailer, and the positive cable to the top of each glow plug where the wire is normally fastened. Then plug in the charger. You'll find out pretty quickly if each GP is good or not.

My 1010 needs GP to start even in the summer. But once I knew they took 10 seconds to start glowing, I adjusted accordingly.

Good luck with your tractor.

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs
Pull the glow plugs.
Test each plug with a battery charger. See how long it takes to start glowing....mine do nothing for 10 seconds, then glow orange.

lol! I pulled the plugs, but the testing part was not necessary.

20141223_092848[1].jpg

I know the picture is crappy, but my phone lens is hooped. as you can see, the new ones are overall longer than the originals, the ends are all missing from the originals but they still seem to be full width down past where the replacements begin to taper so I'm hoping the new ones wont be too long

I'm just taking a break for breakfast then will install the new block heater and park it outside for a while. It's right in the neighbourhood of freezing today so it shouldn't take too long to find out if these plugs work any better than the originals did when they were new.

btw, did the swap with the fuel lines and injectors in place, next time the plumbing will come off first. kind of frustrating job with the front end loader on and in a tight shop

I did get ngk numbers from the originals and will post all that stuff when the job is done.

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #8  
Looks like maybe you found the problem!

BTW, I got confuzzled… my car's an '05, but the tractor is an '07. Still, that battery is holding up well -- not bad for 7 years. (Got a piece of wood handy??)

I'll check my glow plugs soon; I remember seeing the same thing on a Peugeot 504D I had for a few years; the ends of the plugs on a couple of them were also burned off, just like in your pic. Had forgotten about that "normal" wear & tear. ijk

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs
well, it starts with one 13 second application of the glow plugs at 37*F, so I think its safe to say things are looking up.

btw, I did check the ground cable, it looks like the day it was new. :thumbsup:

the OEM plugs are NGK Y510R 0923 there is slight chance that number is y51Dr but I dont think so, just in case.

the aftermarket plugs are to fit the E3112 engine from the '90's the number on them is JAS31M1 12V E22 dont know the brand unless JAS is a brand.

while I'm at it, Injector # is 6242143M91 AGCO Block heater number I will edit in after another trip to the shop.:laughing:

/ GC2410 Glow Plugs #10  
Glad that helped.

With the block heater, you are starting a warm engine, so it should start like that.

We haven't seen a lot glow plugs go bad on these. Perhaps you got some defective ones? How many hours on the original ones?

How much did the new ones cost?