Backhoe GC2410 hydraulic hose failure

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #1  

ScottW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson GC2410TLB
Hi, I just got my first hydraulic hose failure on my GC2410 backhoe, at 43 hours (just 12 on backhoe). It's the hose that lifts the boom. I can see where it burst, and it doesn't seem to be near any sharp edges, and the outside is not chafed. Seems to be a spontaneous part failure. I can't move the tractor because the boom is down. Is the only way to fix it where it sits, or is there a temporary fix that would allow me to lift the boom long enough to drive out of there and onto a trailer to the dealer for repair? I haven't looked hard yet to see how difficult it is to get at the ends of the hose. :confused:

I don't have a trailer and was more or less planning on having the dealer pick up my tractor for things other than regular maintenance. The dealer is 100 miles away and charges $100 for hauling. But if it has to be fixed where it sits, then I guess I will have to either do it myself or get a local mechanic to come out. Any advice will be appreciated. I'll post a picture later.

I read the previous threads about replacing the original hose with something better. Does anyone know if a MF dealer will do that, or am I better off working with someone else?

--Scott

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #2  
Personally, I would try and get the hose off myself. You will have to pay for the dealer, or whoever, to come and get it. Once you get the hose off, most automotive parts stores or any tractor dealers, repair shops can make the same hose length you have. This is what I would do, in the end you will save money. I think, from what I have read, you will want a 3000 psi hose to replace the one that blew. It will be larger in diameter than what you have, but it will last longer. If you bring the hose into MF telling them what happened they may just swap it out, but I am just speculating, I don't believe that they would give you a "different" type hose either. If they don't do the work they may not warranty it anyway. This is all the way I would go about it, others may chime in. I am guessing you want it fixed and out of the weather as soon as possible. This is just how I would handle it. Good luck, and make sure to watch your fluid level after the repair:thumbsup:.

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #3  
Hi, I just got my first hydraulic hose failure on my GC2410 backhoe, at 43 hours (just 12 on backhoe). It's the hose that lifts the boom. I can see where it burst, and it doesn't seem to be near any sharp edges, and the outside is not chafed. Seems to be a spontaneous part failure. I can't move the tractor because the boom is down. Is the only way to fix it where it sits, or is there a temporary fix that would allow me to lift the boom long enough to drive out of there and onto a trailer to the dealer for repair? I haven't looked hard yet to see how difficult it is to get at the ends of the hose. :confused:

I don't have a trailer and was more or less planning on having the dealer pick up my tractor for things other than regular maintenance. The dealer is 100 miles away and charges $100 for hauling. But if it has to be fixed where it sits, then I guess I will have to either do it myself or get a local mechanic to come out. Any advice will be appreciated. I'll post a picture later.

I read the previous threads about replacing the original hose with something better. Does anyone know if a MF dealer will do that, or am I better off working with someone else?

--Scott

Can you use a floor jack, under the bucket, to get the boom back on transport lock?

This may require a second person to operate the lever, to relieve pressure.

Do this with the engine off to conserve fluid.

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure
Thanks for the suggestions, Wacky and ray66v. It seems I should try to get the machine in a better place first, and get the boom in optimal position for working on the hose. I had not thought about using outside mechanical advantage to lift the backhoe boom (you can tell I'm a novice at this). I don't own a floor jack, but I think I can get some help from our excavation contractor who is coming to the jobsite tomorrow. He can use his excavator and a chain to easily lift my broken tractor "arm" to the transport lock position. We've worked with him a lot and I'm pretty sure he can be careful enough with that movement. Then I can drive the TLB a short distance and park it under a roof before doing any wrenching.

I do have a NAPA store near me, and probably other options for getting a new hose made. I'm sure the aforementioned contractor knows who can do it. I'll also call the dealer to see what they would do.

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #5  
Hi Scott,

Not sure if this is a dealer thing or a Massey thing but in my case, if it was cover under warranty, the dealer would fix it on site or pick it up for free if need be.

You might want to double check with them first...

Good luck,
Max

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #6  
Right-- you might want to check on warranty status... only 43 hours?

Other than that, yes, your excavator person should know just who to contact. Generally, it's pretty easy to disconnect the hose and take it to a shop and have them make up a new one; your contractor will know where to go. In the 2 that I've replaced, the only fluid I've lost was what was in the hose.

My excavation contractor thought of another way to lift the boom prior to moving the tractor to a better spot to work on it--using a chain attached the the FEL bucket to pull the boom. This worked. I lifted the bucket all the way up and we ran the chain through the ROPS and outside the backhoe operator's railing, to a spot on the boom. By lowering and curling the bucket down we were able to lift the boom enough to set the transport lock. Then, in the repair spot, he used his excavator and my chain to lower the boom to a nice working position. Without the excavator, we would have done it with some blocking and manipulating the bucket and dipper stick to get it stretched out and down.

Getting the hose off wasn't hard. It's funny how initial surprise and dismay can make a situation seem overly pessimistic. I contacted the dealer and they will make up a new one at no cost, freight included via a same-day courier service.

As I said, it didn't appear to be chafed, but it may have been stretched. I asked the dealer to add 2 inches to the length, and will tuck the extra under the boom cylinder, where the hose makes a 180 bend to connect to the cylinder. I noticed that my backhoe had an extra, smooth covering welded over the notorious sharp edge near the bottom of the boom, but there are other, not so nice edges, including near where my line failed, and near the monoblock control valve under the operator's console. I asked my dealer to send some inexpensive hose to cut and place over those. Otherwise, I'll get some at NAPA.

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #8  
Clever! Glad to see you're all set. Good idea you checked with the dealer.:thumbsup:

Making a mountain out of a molehill?? Yeah, that's what a good imagination can do for you. I can't say how many times that's happened to me- you think about it, and all that could go wrong, and how hard it could get, and then the job itself turns out to be a walk in the park. :D

I'd for sure rather have it that way than the other way around, however!! :laughing:

/ GC2410 hydraulic hose failure #9  
My excavation contractor thought of another way to lift the boom prior to moving the tractor to a better spot to work on it--using a chain attached the the FEL bucket to pull the boom. This worked.

I had actually though about that idea. But, I thought there would not be enough clearance. Plus you would need a really long chain.

I will keep it in mind, now that I know it can be done.

Well I finally got the backhoe working again. The first hose that the dealer sent failed immediately while raising the boom--the tubing burst apart from the fitting at one of the ends. That was frustrating to say the least. They admitted it was from inadequately crimping the fitting on, and sent another one. At least they do use the stronger, 2-wire hose that has a little bigger outside diameter compared to the OEM hoses. I got it on yesterday and then took off the BH so that my wife could rototill some steer manure into our new garden in preparation for a cover crop planting soon. Today it's back to backfilling and grading around our garage and house under construction. I'll hit 50 hours and the major service soon!