GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #21  
I had the same problem after cleaning snow for 3 hrs. I pulled in my garage and let it sit in 60degree temp for about 3 hours (not sure if that part matters) Then I took the 2 screws holding the cable to the back of the tach, cleaned out the old grease and packed it full of new grease. I also suspected water getting in so I made sure that the housing was full to help prevent future moisture. I probably should have cleaned the cable but didnt think about it. Has been working great since!

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #22  
My new GC2400 has done the same today plowing snow. I took the throttle down for a few seconds and it came back ,but it happened 3 times .
I called the dealer and he told me what you guys already know :( . It was also not running right when the tach was acting up .

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #23  
I have finally given up on having the tach/hr meter working in the winter. The tractor is always stored inside heated garage, I take it outside and within 10 minutes the tach buries itself and starts howling. Stop machine, restart, rev up, tach buries and howls, repeat procedure until pissed off enough to break something.

I have put methyl hydrate and light oil down the drive cable, had it to the dealer where they re-routed it claiming the problem had been solved... nada.

The only thing that seems to work is just disconnecting the drive cable from the tach head and leaving it at that.

I am beginning to suspect the problem is water in the tach head rather than moisture in the drive cable.

btw, just had a glimpse of the 'new' gc1700... I dont see anything different regarding the tach head or drive.

I still love my gc, but not really impressed with disorganization/incompetence at massey ferguson/agco. There is no excuse for this problem not to have been solved yet.
The howling is a bearing seizing inside the tachdrive head. Remove the tachdrive head from the tractor along with the tach cable. Hook the cable up to a variable speed drill and see if you can simulate the problem. If so, I'd take all of it back to the dealer to see if they can explain a solution as in (replacement). Once the bearing goes bad (most are non servicable) replacement is the only option. Yes you can put a tad of graphite in a certain area but it will only be temporary and the problem will return. This may be a defect and you may have to force an issue with them. Good luck.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #24  
The howling is a bearing seizing inside the tachdrive head. Remove the tachdrive head from the tractor along with the tach cable. Hook the cable up to a variable speed drill and see if you can simulate the problem. If so, I'd take all of it back to the dealer to see if they can explain a solution as in (replacement). Once the bearing goes bad (most are non servicable) replacement is the only option. Yes you can put a tad of graphite in a certain area but it will only be temporary and the problem will return. This may be a defect and you may have to force an issue with them. Good luck.
Yes, it's temporary. When the temps warm up, the noise will stop. Ive traced mine to cold air being sucked in from my leg area(due to the reverse engine on the GC series), which seems to cause the head to get much colder than normal.
The noise is never there at atartup, only after running it for 10 to 20 minutes in subzero weather will the noise start, if you shut down and wait 5 minutes, the noise will be gone for another 10 minutes or so.

I have not tested the theory by insulating the head from the airflow, but it is a good idea which could be accomplished by using foam padding like what one would find in a chair or something.
It only happened to mine once this year,(it happened to my wife) and I was on the road and couldn't try the idea.

I should also mention, that mine is the same as everyone else's.......when the noise starts, the tach needle buries itself to the high side(my dealer can't explain that one either and neither can I after years of mechanic'ing).

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #25  
I should also mention, that mine is the same as everyone else's.......when the noise starts, the tach needle buries itself to the high side(my dealer can't explain that one either and neither can I after years of mechanic'ing).

Don, I don't know if you've ever taken a tachometer or a speedometer apart. They have a centrifugal part that rotates inside that is directly related to the RPM of the input cable. It works kind of like a clutch. The bearing that's seizing sounds like it could be the centrifugal part. Thus when seizing it begins to spins at a much faster rate. That would explain it pegging out when cold and as it warms up lubricant works and it (tach cable) spins as it should. Is this a mini sized proofmeter? Could a 3 3/8" one fit in it's place. Then again, if it's still in warranty I'd press that issue all the way back to corporate. The only thing that requires maintenance is the cable.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #26  
Don, I don't know if you've ever taken a tachometer or a speedometer apart. They have a centrifugal part that rotates inside that is directly related to the RPM of the input cable. It works kind of like a clutch. The bearing that's seizing sounds like it could be the centrifugal part. Thus when seizing it begins to spins at a much faster rate. That would explain it pegging out when cold and as it warms up lubricant works and it (tach cable) spins as it should. Is this a mini sized proofmeter? Could a 3 3/8" one fit in it's place. Then again, if it's still in warranty I'd press that issue all the way back to corporate. The only thing that requires maintenance is the cable.
I'm not trying to argue, but it only happens in subfreezing temps. once it warms back up it's fine. It also doesn't appear to hurt anything, just makes a loud noise. Chances of Massey doing anything under those circumstances is lodged squarely between slim and none.

But as I said earlier, I pulled the cable off of mine(at the head), sprayed the head with motorcycle chain lube, and the problem disappeared. Which tells me the problem is right there(where the cable connects to the head).

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #27  
I'm not trying to argue, but it only happens in subfreezing temps. once it warms back up it's fine. It also doesn't appear to hurt anything, just makes a loud noise. Chances of Massey doing anything under those circumstances is lodged squarely between slim and none.

But as I said earlier, I pulled the cable off of mine(at the head), sprayed the head with motorcycle chain lube, and the problem disappeared. Which tells me the problem is right there(where the cable connects to the head).

Not trying to sway you either way Don. I have taken apart both speedometer and tachometer w/clock. If your satisfied with your results that's great.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO
The tach works fine, until it cools down. you take it out of the heated garage and it will work fine until whtever the specific problem is drops down below freezing.

mf/agco dealer pretended to fix it repeatedly under warranty, now expired. I'm starting to think class action suit might be the only answer. Are the 1700 series tractors being sold yet?

Whatever the problem is, it is a widespread design defect, there should have been a recall/replacement program instituted a long time ago. Curious to know if the 1700's do the same thing.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #29  
Just wondering for those of us who no longer are under warranty-how about disabling this piece of junk and installing a digital or analogue aftermarket tacometer? I'm thinking of doing that but dont know how or where to begin.

/ GC2410 TACH DRIVE STILL A PROBLEM IN SUB ZERO #30  
Just wondering for those of us who no longer are under warranty-how about disabling this piece of junk and installing a digital or analogue aftermarket tacometer? I'm thinking of doing that but dont know how or where to begin.
First you need to know what diameter your tachdrive is.