GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hey Folks, was out and about with the Massey and I notice my temp gauge isnt registering the temp after warm up.
Where is a good place to start troubleshooting?
I see it move when its first started but thats it. Shows below C and never moves up.

Last edited:
   / GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #2  
The simplest way I know of to test an electric gauge is to first find the temp sensor. Usually located on top of the head or near (or in) the thermostat housing. Should be a sender with only one wire attached. Find the wire, remove it from the sender and rig up a way to ground it. Add a jumper wire or whatever so you can ground the wire while watching the gauge. With the key and other gauges on BRIEFLY flash the wire to ground and se what the gauge does. Some are more sensitive than others so don't just ground the wire and wait for the smoke to clear. In MOST cases, the needle will go to full hot when the wire is grounded. If it moves at all in that direction the gauge and circuits are probably okay and the sender is at fault. No guaranties or promises, but that's a good starting point.

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start
I think the temp sensor is bad...how can I sheck the sensor itself? Tech manual doesnt say...only says for meter side.

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #4  
Did you warm it up and thump on the gauge?

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #5  
I think the temp sensor is bad...how can I sheck the sensor itself? Tech manual doesnt say...only says for meter side.
I guess you could measure the resistance between the Spade on the sender and ground with engine cold. Run it a while and do that again. Check gain with engine up to operating temperature and record that. I would expect the reading should should get lower and lower as the engine warms up. What that reading should be I have no idea.

I'm not surprised it's not in your tech manual. It seems that all too often those compiling information and writing the manuals these days assume you will never really need much information because their tractors don't break.

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #7  
Are you getting full voltage?

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #8  
if the gauge functions and pegs out to hot when you ground the temp sensor,I would use a wire to grounf the outside of the temp sensor fitting to the neg on the battery then recheck the gauge to see if it works,if it doesn't I would just replace the sensor,gauge moves all the way to hot when grounded at the sensor,not much left but the sensor

Its hard to get to the sensor at the moment. Im wondering if I am confused and the cullprit could be a stuck thermostat. That could be why its showing cold. I warmed it up last night and both the upper and lower hose had pressure in them and were at 100f temp wise. The oil showed 135 and the head was still around 80f. I also found the belt really loose-tightened it to spec but the temp gauge still stayed on C.

The repair manual is a POC on this subject matter.

I hope Im not throwing myself and all of you down a rabbit hole LOL. Maybe its just cold blooded too.

/ GC2410 Temp Gauge Not Moving After Start #10  
I had plug on back of dash full of crud that did that.