Gear drive vs hydro

/ Gear drive vs hydro #11  
It just so happens that with my Kubota HST I get a readout of my ground speed on the dash. It can be displayed in miles per or kilometers per, take your pick. I do not have to consult a table of gear vs rpm.

Vernon

Not all machines make you consult a table to get ground speed on a gear tractor.. some of them actually have ground speed on the tach / proofmeter. with different bands based on gear ranges.. etc.

soundguy

/ Gear drive vs hydro #12  
As a kid, I grew up on a 9N, then a 30hp Massey (no loader on either) Since then I've used a 60hp Case w/loader, 60hp Massey w/loader- both gear units, a 560 and 680(?) Case hoe with shuttle, a 19hp Bota Hydro with loader and my favorite, our current 4300HST JD. For work in tight spots, or bush work where you are skidding logs, or snow work or loader/hoe work, or landscaping where you want to move that rock 2", you can't beat the HST...granted my clutch leg (and arm) ain't what it used to be, but even a sprained ankle (left) last week didn't stop me from dragging out firewood.

/ Gear drive vs hydro #13  
yep... OP... suggest you look at the numerous TBN threads that discuss advantages of gear versus HST.

Since you have 5 acres, I doubt that there is any way that horsepower saving gear transmission will truly be of any benefit to you. Horsepower loss is inconsequential in actual use.

Agreed, it is cheaper.

However, HST is extreme precision and I consider it a safety item.

There is a thread discussing reliability of HST... NOBODY reported that they had EVER had a problem....and some reported 1000 hrs or more experience.

/ Gear drive vs hydro #14  
All this talk of HP loss with an HST - in reading many specs of all makes, most loss is in the range of 1/2 to 1 1/2 HP. You're thus talking about less than 5% difference, in most cases. Seems a small price for the control you get with an HST, to me - YMMV, of course.

/ Gear drive vs hydro #15  
[The other thing is that some folk tend towards hydro because they "never learned to drive a standard" car - without understanding that on a tractor you don't shift up and down through 4 or 5 gears at the beginning/end of every row (-:/QUOTE]

Maybe check out some of the new tractor transmissions!:D

Many farmers will have GPS systems on their tractors.:D Those will cover the ground speed and drive the tractor.:D

/ Gear drive vs hydro #16  
All this talk of HP loss with an HST - in reading many specs of all makes, most loss is in the range of 1/2 to 1 1/2 HP. You're thus talking about less than 5% difference, in most cases. Seems a small price for the control you get with an HST, to me - YMMV, of course.

It is a whole model size in some manufacturer's line ups, probably in $s as well as HP.
For that $ difference I would rather spend it on HP than on a slush pump trans.
I don't know WHERE this idea of hydro's greater accuracy (or more precision) comes from, but I'd bet a mound of dirt that I can place anything as close with a gear tractor as most people could with a hydro tractor of same/similar size.

/ Gear drive vs hydro #17  
Agreed, among other reasons already mentioned, control is one of the main reasons I prefer a gear drive with a clutch. Now, for folks who can't work a clutch, HST is definitely more accurate. But that's a whole other issue.

/ Gear drive vs hydro #18  
   / Gear drive vs hydro #19  
Come on now you guys, if you are working near something valuable, don't you have to mention excess clutch wear to get the same accuracy as an HST?

/ Gear drive vs hydro #20  
I don't know WHERE this idea of hydro's greater accuracy (or more precision) comes from, but I'd bet a mound of dirt that I can place anything as close with a gear tractor as most people could with a hydro tractor of same/similar size.

Ditto that.. it's an experience issue.

There are more and more 'homeowner's getting small estate tractors now.. and those 'city-folk' are used to putting their car in drive and hitting the gas pedal... I'm sure hydro is much easier to learn to the person who has never ran a standard tranny.

At our local feed coop I've seen an old-er guy on an old MF gear tractor with a front hay spike outstack/ unload round bales from delivery trucks vs the 'new hire' on the nice hydro rough terain forklift ( jcb maybee? ). Was a drastic difference.. like one truck was finished and the other was a lil over half done. Had the old guy been on the new machine.. he'd probably have finished his truck before the other'n was started!

soundguy