Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid?

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #11  
Both the hydraulic fluid, and the 80w-90 are both light weight gear oil.

And, contrary to popular belief, they are basically the same viscosity at room temp. (look it up, or do a viscosity test yourself). That's why there are interchangeable here.

One is made for doing multiple things, and one is made specifically for lubricating gears.

Don't obsess over it. Both work just fine in an axle.

However, if you want to know what offers the best protection, it would be EP rated gear lube.

EP gear lube is made specifically for protecting high pressure gears, such as hypoid gears, in a differential.

I would use synthetic EP 80w-90.

Whether it really matters, is another debate.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #12  
old pilgrim - not arguing with you - just stating what i was told. also remember the tech guy saying something akin to what ray said too. I respect you a lot pilgrim. so no offense intended.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #13  
My Mahindra 2216 gear does specifically spec gear oil for the front axle. Different weight.

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 415
   / Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #14  
old pilgrim - not arguing with you - just stating what i was told. also remember the tech guy saying something akin to what ray said too. I respect you a lot pilgrim. so no offense intended.

non taken...thanks.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #16  
smell whats in there... easy to pick out 80-90w gear oil. Really both should be fine in that size tractor... it is whats in your rear transmission now a days

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #17  
smell whats in there... easy to pick out 80-90w gear oil. Really both should be fine in that size tractor... it is whats in your rear transmission now a days

80W-90 does not have the familiar burnt smell, of the old rear gear oil.

It smells the same, and looks the same, as the hydraulic oil. Because, the hydraulic oil is basically the same thing.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #18  
Strange... the bottle I got in the shop has a particular smell like any gear oil. wonder if some brands are different.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #19  
Strange... the bottle I got in the shop has a particular smell like any gear oil. wonder if some brands are different.

Anything is possible. None of the brands I have, look or smell any different than 30W motor oil.

/ Gear oil or hydraulic tranny fluid? #20  
We have built literally thousands of these Mitsu tractors over the years, and we put hy-trans in every single front axle on the Mitsu built machines. We clarified that with Mitsu over 10 years ago. We have never seen an oil related front axle failure, except when someone failed to put any oil in! Now that's a problem.

That being said, 80W-90 gear oil works just fine, and since at least some of the manuals show either or both, surely if there was a warranty type problem, nobody could blame an owner for using 80W-90 if the manual suggests both.

Some of the manuals, for years now, have been conflicting. Mahindra has no excuse for not clearing that up. But the good news is that either works. Just keep it under 60 mph and all is well....

Some people insist on gear oil, I'm not concerned either way honestly. Just changing it occasionally and making sure it is at the correct level is probably more important.