Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #11  
Personally I like the gear as long as it's shuttle type.
For a long time now I've been reading all the hype about HST on tractors being faster, easier, safer, Etc.
I got to try a HST out for a half an hour or so last week on a friends new DK 35se, doing some mowing and loader work.
I liked the hydro OK, but it didn't seem any faster, easier or safer to me than my shuttle shift gears.
My opinion.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #12  
I have both HST and gear. There are situations where HST is safer. Like falling off the tractor. HST will stop for the most. Gear keeps on going. (I know wearing a seat belt mitigates this somewhat.) But, an aweful lot of people are killed each year doing just this.

Another example: backing up close to a steep embackment, shoes are wet; slip of the clutch just when you are trying stop. Over the embankment you might go (or run into something or someone). And yet another example: Ease up to an embankment to dump over the side. After dumping, plan to back up, but want to go faster. So you shift to a higher gear. But then forget to put the shuttle in reverse. Pop the clutch and over the embankment you might go.

These circumstances are far less likely to occur with HST. All in all HST is better for a broader range of tasks. Gear excels when doing ground engaging work requiring maximum pull power, or where precisely repeatable speed is important. But, when you need fine control, like easing up close to your pickup, house, fence, tree, or other object, HST can't be beat.

In the end, though it's just like buying a car or truck, transmission is a personal choice.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #13  
Loader = Hydro, cutting into a pile with hydro is much much easier, I hate slipped my tractor's clutch. And frequent forward and reverse, hydro, no comparison.

Most other uses I would think either. I like gear for all but loader work. As I've said in the past, would rather replace clutch than hydro if something were to go wrong.

Hydro rules for loader work.

For the record, I've got gear.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed
hmmm, just as I expected, very good points for both. I can already tell this is not going to be an easy decision...

My project list may be changing now as we may be getting a 35 acre property to build our new home on, so not it may be more Backhoe work which = more FEL work filling in the dig areas which may include Electric trench into the middle of the property, Septic, Well (from home to well site), and possibly foundation or the general start there of.

We would also plan to plant 25 acres as a tree farm, put in a pond, and have 8 or so acres to mow, which I would do with a rear finish mower, and sprayer for the trees.

Thoughts? :D I have driven the Hydro on the Tractor I am looking at and plan to drive the Gear later this week, so if with the above list it's going to come down to which I like driving more, this is really going to be a tough decision. Most of the initical projects will be one time, however maintaining the pond, tree farm, mowing and other property related tasks will be ongoing... :eek: Good thing I like driving tractors so much!

Thanks again for all the help! You guys ROCK!

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #15  
8 acres is a lot of grass to mow. I'd definitely go with the most hp so that you can run the biggest mower practical for your property.

Tree farm and mowing say HST to me.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #16  
I think everyone pretty much hit the finer points, but my feeling is when you have enough horsepower all of the tasks you listed will be simple with either hydro or gear.

That said, the two tractors you are comparing CK20 and CK35 should be worlds apart and it really should make very little difference in your situation if you go with the CK35. In other words, you are not doing any heavy tillage, not doing any hay work, etc. The CK35 should have plenty of power to do each every task you named in either gear or hydro from. On the other hand with what I have read on the TBN about the CK20 (never worked with one) it seems to be slightly underpowered for it's weight especially when toting around a backhoe. You might want to take every advantage you can and go with the gear since, as people have mentioned, the gear variants tend to put the power down better. Furthermore, if you have to replace something, a clutch is much cheaper than hydro parts/labor.

A couple of things worth mentioning that I agree with AND don't necessarily agree with . . .

Those who mow prefer gear? I mow a lot and use the rotoary, start mowing and use the electronic cruise control. Simply as that . . .

Loader work . . . HST there is no comparison although someone who is familiar with shuttle can be just as fast. That said, when you get into larger AG tractors even they are moving to wet clutches and power shuttle because shuttle shift can become a PITA after a day of loading bales or moving manure.

I don't necessarily buy into HST being "safer". It's easier to learn, no question about that, but you can still screw it up in close quarters. I have hit many of fences mowing simply by hitting the wrong pedal. I have had two HST tractors. If you think buying one will eliminate mistakes for you, the Ms., and your employees (if you had any). It won't, someone is bound to make a mistake. Just pray they are small ones. It happens with HST and shuttle.

Go with the most HP you can afford. Don't be mislead, gear is nice in some situations but don't think it is a replacement for 15-20 hp if you are going to be pulling around a big ol' box blade, pushing a lot of dirt around, or toting around a heavy backhoe even when not in use. It will help but you know what they say about never having enough horsepower . . .

I think based on your acreage and the jobs you have listed the CK35 would be the tractor I'd be looking at. I would NOT in anyway be looking at the CK20. That said, with the CK35 being the one, you would have enough horsepower to start looking at the transmissions as options or choices NOT HST VS. SHUTTLE "choose wisely or else". Otherwise you are going to drive yourself crazy worry about whether you did the right thing or not.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed
Gittyup said:
I have both HST and gear. There are situations where HST is safer. Like falling off the tractor.

So you ride your HST when you're going to fall off? :D Sorry, just kidding, that's what came into my head when I first read your post. I appreciate yours and everyone's input, but that was somewhat funny when I read it that way.

So just to update, (thanks to your great posts and only being a couple thousand more)) I decided I will end up getting the CK35 and decided which trans I want while writing this post. (It was much longer)

I have rented my fair share of CUT's over the past few years (I know, should have bought one a long time ago) and I think the final four things that have assisted with my decision (other than all of the helpful posts) are:

First - I can drive the shuttle shift similar to the hydro when needed, just back off the throttle and use the pedal and shuttle shift, to me it was very similar with more granular speed control and not having to lift my throttle foot.

Second - Power to the ground. While I really like the Hydro, I think having the extra power to move earth without having to worry that I am damaging the trans bodes well for me.

Third - The HST single pedal I know this is a sweet setup, however for me it seemed like my heal was getting stuck under the reverse side of the pedal or my shoe did not feel right trying to stay on both ends, and yes I tried this with 2 different types of shoes and 1 pair of ST boots.

Fourth - A couple days ago I drove both for quite a while; one right after the other. I think the Gear was more enjoyable and those who have said it should be as important to enjoy driving it were correct. After thinking about this question for weeks, the feel and function is just more enjoyable and until I question myself later on, I want to thank everyone for their input.

If nothing more, I feel much better with my decision now and that is what really counts. Thanks to everyone who responded; thanks to you I also have a deeper understanding than I did before!

Thanks again!!!

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #18  
Cyberroc said:
Second - Power to the ground. While I really like the Hydro, I think having the extra power to move earth without having to worry that I am damaging the trans bodes well for me.
I am not sure that gear puts any more 'power to the ground' than Hydro.
Cyberroc said:
Third - The HST single pedal I know this is a sweet setup, however for me it seemed like my heal was getting stuck under the reverse side of the pedal or my shoe did not feel right trying to stay on both ends, and yes I tried this with 2 different types of shoes and 1 pair of ST boots.
HST pedals... I have tried both the single rocker and the dual pedal setup... both have their +'s and -'s. I went HST rocker due to a bad left knee and I can't use a clutch for extended periods.
Cyberroc said:
Fourth - A couple days ago I drove both for quite a while; one right after the other. I think the Gear was more enjoyable and those who have said it should be as important to enjoy driving it were correct. After thinking about this question for weeks, the feel and function is just more enjoyable and until I question myself later on, I want to thank everyone for their input.
This is the KEY... what YOU are most comfortable with. Enjoy your new machine and be safe. And of course, we want pictures when you get the machine. :)

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #19  
I'd say you need the CK35 with Hydro. Hydro will probably also add value one day when you sell.

Good luck.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #20  
jimmyj said:
Hydro will probably also add value one day when you sell.
It should.. Its adds a lot more $$ when you buy it new..