Gear Range Shifter Kubota L4310 HST

/ Gear Range Shifter Kubota L4310 HST #1  

TimBuck2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST and Ford 841
I have had this tractor for two years.

Shifting between the gear ranges is very difficult to near impossible (I muscled it into high range just once, and though it was stuck there forever).

I am looking for advice as to how to go about figuring out if this is due to a mechanical problem or, if not, how I might make it reasonably easy to shift between gear ranges.

I searched and found one earlier threat that suggests this is a common problem, but as it is not, this is too much of a problem to live with.

Thanks,
Tim

/ Gear Range Shifter Kubota L4310 HST #2  
It IS a common problem with Kubota HSTs. I believe it is because the range gear teeth are straight cut, with no synchro rings, so they just have to be jiggled into alignment to mesh. On my L4330, what helps is to jiggle the range lever with moderate pressure. Don't force anything. If that doesn't do it, bump the HST pedal just a bit to move forwards or back just an inch or two and try again. Sometimes, disengaging the clutch will help, I suppose because it takes some residual torque off the gearbox. It very gradually does loosen up a little.

/ Gear Range Shifter Kubota L4310 HST
Thanks for the reply JRobyn, I guess at a minimum I know I am not alone.

Great tractor otherwise.